1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Fields problem: Can someone please check my work?

1. Jun 10, 2015 #1
    "a +4nC charge is 6/0 cm along a horizontal line toward the right of a -3nC charged object. Determine the E field at a point 4.0 cm to the left of the negative charge."

From what I understand, it goes Point ___ 4cm ____ (-3nC) _____ 6cm ____ (+4nC)

Using that, I got the answer to be -14.75 nC but I'm very unsure of myself. Can someone check?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2015 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello goooogle. Welcome to PF !

You have the layout correct.

Can you explain how you got that answer?

For sure, the units are not correct.

4. Jun 10, 2015 #3
    Well, I did

((K)(-3 x10^-9))/(.04^2) + ((K)(4x10^-9)/(.1^2) which gets me -13275. From there, I did -13725 = ((K)(X))/(.1^2) which comes out to -14.75 nano coloumbs.

Is that right? Is .1 the right distance for the second part?

5. Jun 10, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For the first part: What is the direction of the E-field due to the negative charge? What is the direction of the E-field due to the positive charge?

What are the units of the number -13275 ?

What second part. You didn't mention a second part in the question.

6. Jun 10, 2015 #5
    The direction for the E-field because of the negative charge would be to the right, so +? In that case, it'd be 16875 - 3600, which is +13275. So I understand that, I think. The units are N/C. The second part was just desperation, trying to find a step I missed.

So I take it +13275 N/C is my final answer?

7. Jun 10, 2015 #6

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your result looks okay for magnitude, units, and direction. Be sure to round any result that is to be presented as a final answer to the correct number of significant figures.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted