Electromagnetisim exam question (can someone please check)

• Thread starter vorcil
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the dielectric material has the following properties:- electrical conductivity \sigma = 0- relative permittivity \epsilon_r = 3- relative permeability \mu_r = 1
vorcil

Homework Statement

A dielectric material has the following properties:
electrical conductivity [tex]\sigma = 0 [/tex]
relative permittivity [tex]\epsilon_r = 3 [/tex]
relative permeability [tex]\mu_r =1 [/tex]

The electric field in the dielectric is given by
[tex] \mathbf{E} = E_0 cos(kz-\omega t)\hat{x} [/tex]

There are no time independent magnetic fields in the dielectric:

i) Write down maxwell's equation in matter in differential form
ii) find an expression for the polarization vector [tex] \mathbf{P} [/tex]
iii) find an expression for the volume density of bound charge
iv) find an expression for the volume density of free charge
v) find an expression for [tex] \frac{\parital \mathbf{E}}{\partial \mathbf{t}} [/tex]
iv) find an expression for [tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} [/tex], and hence deduce an expression for the magnetic field [tex] \mathbf{B} [/tex], in the dielectric.
vii) find [tex] \nabla . \mathbf{B} [/tex] and explain what this means physically
viii) What is the magnetization vector M in the dielectric?
ix) Find an expression for the phase speed [tex] \frac{\omega}{k} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i) Maxwells equations in differential form (THOUGH I'm not sure what they are in matter?)

curl/divergence of both magnetic and electric fields:

[tex] \nabla . \mathbf{E} = \frac{\rho}{\epsilon_0} [/tex] gauss's law
[tex] \nabla . \mathbf{B} = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -\frac{\partial \mathbf{B}}{\partial t} [/tex] faraday's law
[tex] \nabla \times \mathbf{B} = \mu_0\mathbf{J} + \mu_0\epsilon_0\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t}[/tex] maxwells fixed ampere's law

the question does say it wants the equations in matter,
so should I be using the auxhillary magnetic field and electric displacement field vectors H and D?

or would the equations in the form I gave be enough?

ii) (writing it up now)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ii)
Find an expression for the polarization vector P:

There are two ways I could think of to approach this question,

using [tex] \mathbf{P} =\epsilon_0\chi_e\mathbf{E} [/tex]

and the electrical displacement route, using [tex] \mathbf{D} = \epsilon_0 \mathbf{E} + \mathbf{P} [/tex]

but in both these methods, I don't know either [tex] \chi_e [/tex] the electrical susceptibility, nor do I know the Displacement vector D,

-

if I were to attempt this in an exam I would have just put down,

[tex] \mathbf{P} = \epsilon_0 \chi_e \epsilon_0 cos(kz-\omega t) = \epsilon_0^2 \chi_e cos(kz-\omega t) [/tex]

iii) Find an expression for the volume density of bound charge:

Using the equation 4.12 from griffiths, [tex] \rho_b = -\nabla . \mathbf{P} [/tex]

If the Polarization vector P, (I had [tex] \epsilon_0^2 \chi_e cos(kz-\omega t)) [/tex]is uniform, the volume density of bound charge, [tex] \rho_b [/tex] = 0,

but I'm not sure it is uniform,

does that mean I should take the divergence of the Polarization vector P?
I would use Cartesian coordinates,

[tex] (\frac{\partial}{\partial x},\frac{\partial}{\partial y},\frac{\partial}{\partial z})(P)?

I'm not too sure

:( ??

ii) The polarization vector \mathbf{P} is defined as the dipole moment per unit volume of a dielectric material. In this case, it can be expressed as:

\mathbf{P} = \epsilon_0 \chi_e \mathbf{E}

Where \chi_e is the electric susceptibility of the material. Since the material has a relative permittivity of \epsilon_r = 3, we can rewrite this as:

\mathbf{P} = 3\epsilon_0 \mathbf{E}

iii) The volume density of bound charge is given by:

\rho_{bound} = -\nabla \cdot \mathbf{P}

Using the expression for \mathbf{P} from part ii), we can write this as:

\rho_{bound} = -3\epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}

iv) The volume density of free charge is given by:

\rho_{free} = \nabla \cdot \mathbf{D}

Since there are no time independent magnetic fields in the dielectric, \mathbf{D} is equal to \epsilon_0 \mathbf{E}. Therefore, we can write this as:

\rho_{free} = \epsilon_0 \nabla \cdot \mathbf{E}

v) Using the given electric field, \mathbf{E} = E_0 cos(kz-\omega t)\hat{x}, we can find the time derivative as:

\frac{\partial \mathbf{E}}{\partial t} = -E_0 \omega sin(kz-\omega t)\hat{x}

vi) To find an expression for \nabla \times \mathbf{E}, we can use the definition of the curl operator:

\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = \begin{vmatrix} \hat{x} & \hat{y} & \hat{z} \\ \frac{\partial}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial}{\partial y} & \frac{\partial}{\partial z} \\ E_x & E_y & E_z\end{vmatrix}

Plugging in the components of \mathbf{E} from the given electric field, we get:

\nabla \times \mathbf{E} = -E_0 k sin(kz-\omega t

1. What is the difference between an electric field and a magnetic field?

The main difference between an electric field and a magnetic field is the type of force they produce. An electric field is created by stationary or moving charges and produces a force on other charges. A magnetic field, on the other hand, is created by moving charges and produces a force on other moving charges. Additionally, electric fields act in all directions while magnetic fields act perpendicular to the direction of motion.

2. How does an electric current create a magnetic field?

An electric current consists of moving charges, which produce a magnetic field. This is due to the fact that moving charges generate a magnetic field perpendicular to their direction of motion. The strength of the magnetic field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the current.

3. What is the relationship between electricity and magnetism?

Electricity and magnetism are closely related phenomena known as electromagnetism. This means that electric fields and magnetic fields are interconnected and can produce each other. A changing electric field can create a magnetic field and a changing magnetic field can create an electric field.

4. How do you calculate the strength of a magnetic field?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of Teslas (T) or Gauss (G). It can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the current.

5. What are the applications of electromagnetism in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has numerous practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include electric motors, generators, transformers, speakers, and MRI machines. It is also used in telecommunications, power grids, and many electronic devices such as computers and cell phones.