Something that's bothered me for a while

• Thread starter Manchot
  • Start date
In summary, when considering secondary effects like spin-spin coupling, we may see a splitting of energy levels in simple systems, which would increase the degeneracy of each state. However, this does not mean that more fermions can be fit into each state. The splitting actually breaks the degeneracy and creates new states that are linear combinations of the old ones. Therefore, the number of states remains the same, resulting in no change in occupancy numbers.
Manchot
In simple systems (e.g., a periodic potential with non-interacting electrons), we speak of the energy eigenstates of the system. If we include secondary effects like spin-spin coupling, we'll often see a splitting of the energy levels into multiple states. Assuming that the amount of splitting is much less than other energy scales in the system, the overall effect would be to increase the degeneracy of each state. Why, then, can we not "fit" more fermions into each state than what the simple theory predicts? For example, if you measure the absorption spectrum of bulk gallium arsenide, you'll find the density of states is approximately what the simple theory predicts, multiplied by 2 for spin. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that all of the second-order effects would increase the degeneracy by several fold.

Physics news on Phys.org
Manchot said:
In simple systems (e.g., a periodic potential with non-interacting electrons), we speak of the energy eigenstates of the system. If we include secondary effects like spin-spin coupling, we'll often see a splitting of the energy levels into multiple states. Assuming that the amount of splitting is much less than other energy scales in the system, the overall effect would be to increase the degeneracy of each state.
No, the splitting breaks the degeneracy of the existing state. The Zeeman and Stark splittings are perfect examples.
Why, then, can we not "fit" more fermions into each state than what the simple theory predicts? For example, if you measure the absorption spectrum of bulk gallium arsenide, you'll find the density of states is approximately what the simple theory predicts, multiplied by 2 for spin. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that all of the second-order effects would increase the degeneracy by several fold.
The splitting doesn't increase the number of states, it just creates new states that are linear combinations of the old ones. Where the original states were degenerate (same energy), the new states are spread apart in energy, but the number of states is unchanged. That's why the occupancy numbers don't change.

Duh, I completely forgot about that. That makes more sense.

Related to Something that's bothered me for a while

1. What is the scientific method and how does it work?

The scientific method is a systematic approach used by scientists to answer questions or solve problems. It involves making observations, forming a hypothesis, conducting experiments, analyzing data, and drawing conclusions. This process allows for a logical and objective approach to understanding the natural world.

2. How do scientists communicate their findings?

Scientists communicate their findings through scientific papers, presentations at conferences, and publications in scientific journals. This allows for their research to be reviewed and replicated by other scientists, and contributes to the overall body of knowledge in a particular field.

3. What is the difference between a theory and a hypothesis?

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation for a phenomenon that has not yet been proven. It is based on observations and can be tested through experiments. A theory, on the other hand, is a well-supported and widely accepted explanation for a natural phenomenon that has been extensively tested and confirmed by multiple lines of evidence.

4. How do scientists ensure the accuracy of their results?

Scientists use various methods to ensure the accuracy of their results, such as controlling variables, using large sample sizes, and conducting repeated experiments. They also use statistical analysis to determine the significance of their findings and peer review to have their work evaluated by other experts in the field.

5. How do scientists choose which research questions to pursue?

Scientists choose research questions based on various factors, such as their area of expertise, current gaps in knowledge, and potential impact on society. They also consider the feasibility of the research and available resources. Collaboration with other scientists and funding opportunities may also influence the choice of research questions.