1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sorting items using physics?

1. Mar 6, 2015 #1
    Hi

What is the most efficient way to theoretically store an L beam in a given area, the more beams in that area the better, obvioustly this cant be done in real life but with a physics engine could maybe be calculated?

Note: Each beam can be at any rotation or any axis.

The area is 21.06 cm x 7.02 cm x 7.02 cm and the dimentions of a single beam is shown below.

rsalch.jpg

Im not sure if this is a physics question, but am thinking it can be solved using physics?

Regards, Snipe

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Sounds to me like a math problem a la tetris.

4. Mar 6, 2015 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree with phinds that this more of a math-packaging problem. A physics simulation that "shakes a box" containing these pieces doesn't seem like the most efficient way.

PS: Is this a LEGO-Technic piece? If you are in charge of optimizing the LEGO boxes, keep in mind that they are big for marketing reasons.

5. Mar 6, 2015 #4
    Ok Ill ask on a maths forum

Thanks!

PS yeah its technic, I have hundres of them and getting tray storage is hard for what I need

6. Mar 6, 2015 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Area? Or volume?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook