Sound Intensity of a workplace

In summary, in order to bring the factory into compliance with the US government regulations, 12 machines must be removed from the factory.
tics
Accoding to US government regulations, the maximum sound intensity levels in the workplace is 90,0 dB. Within one factory, 32 ihdentical machines produce a sound intensity level of 92,0 dB. How many machines must be removed to bring the factory into compliance with the regulation?

Possible answers:
a) 2
b) 8
c) 16
d) 24

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show us some of your thoughts and effort put into this proplem.

tics said:
Accoding to US government regulations, the maximum sound intensity levels in the workplace is 90,0 dB. Within one factory, 32 ihdentical machines produce a sound intensity level of 92,0 dB. How many machines must be removed to bring the factory into compliance with the regulation?

Possible answers:
a) 2
b) 8
c) 16
d) 24

My attempt:

β_1=90.0 dB,β_2=92.0 dB
B2-B1= 10log(I1/I0)-10log(I2/I0)
=10log(I2/I0/I1/I0)
=10log(I2/I1)
0.2 =log(I2/I1)
Therefore: I2/I1=10^(0.2)= 1.58
32 machines/1.58 ≈20
The number of machines that must be removed is 32-20=12
Is that right?

What is sound intensity and how is it measured?

Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy that passes through a certain area in a specific amount of time. It is measured in decibels (dB) and is typically measured using a sound level meter.

How does sound intensity affect the workplace?

Excessive sound intensity in the workplace can lead to noise-induced hearing loss, increased stress levels, and reduced productivity. It can also cause distractions and interfere with communication.

What are the recommended sound intensity levels for a workplace?

The recommended sound intensity levels for a workplace vary based on the type of work being done. Generally, it is recommended to keep sound levels below 85 dB for an 8-hour workday to prevent hearing damage.

What are some ways to reduce sound intensity in the workplace?

There are several ways to reduce sound intensity in the workplace, such as using sound-absorbing materials, implementing noise control measures, and enforcing quiet areas. It is also important to regularly maintain equipment and machinery to minimize noise levels.

How can I measure the sound intensity in my workplace?

You can measure sound intensity in your workplace by using a sound level meter and taking multiple readings at different locations throughout the day. It is also important to consult with a professional to ensure accurate measurements and proper interpretation of the results.