Sound levels and bernoulli's problems

In summary, for the first problem, the maximum gauge pressure in a 50 dB sound at 1000 Hz is 3 x 10^-7 atm. For the second problem, the pressure drop due to the Bernoulli effect is 247 Pa.
owl
Hi there! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Homework Statement

If a sound level of 0 dB at 1000 Hz corresponds to a maximum gauge pressure (sound amplitude) of 10^-9 atm, what is the maximum gauge pressure in a 50dB sound at the same frequency? (answer: 3x10^-7 atm)

Homework Equations

L (in dB) = 10 log (I/I0)

The Attempt at a Solution

If it is 0 dB that must mean that I0, ie the reference intensity is 10^-9 atm right?

So ie 0 = 10 log (10^-9/10^-9)
So to get an answer at 50dB... it would be 50 = 10 log ( ??/10^-9)

but then I'm getting 50/10 = log ( ??/10^-9)
10^5 = ?? / 10^-9 (going 10^x both sides to get rid of the log)
which leaves me with ?? = 10^14 which can't be (and isn't) right...?

And the other one...

Homework Statement

What is the pressure drop due to the Bernoulli effect as water goes into a 3 cm diameter nozzle from a 9cm diameter fire hose while carrying a flow of 5 x 10^-4 m3s-1? (answer: 247 Pa)

Homework Equations

So the bernoulli equation is P1 + 1/2 pv12 = P2 + 1/2 pv22
Leaving out the gravitational parts as horizontal flow is assumed...
(the little p being density = 1000 kgm^3 for water and the big P being pressure)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well rearranging the bernoulli equation to get P2 - P1 I get
change in P = 1/2 p ( [Q / A1 ]2 - [ Q / A2 ]2 ] ) = 15.44 Pa?

The answer shows up as 247 Pa which I noticed to be approximately 15.44 squared... but I can't seem to come up with anything other than this!

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! I'm happy to help with your questions.

For the first problem, you are on the right track with using the formula L (in dB) = 10 log (I/I0). However, I think you may have made a mistake when you set up the equation for 50 dB. It should be:

50 = 10 log (P/10^-9)

where P is the maximum gauge pressure for 50 dB. From there, you can solve for P by rearranging the equation and using logarithm rules. Your final answer should be P = 3 x 10^-7 atm.

For the second problem, your approach is correct. However, you made a small error in your calculation. The correct formula for pressure drop due to Bernoulli effect is:

change in P = 1/2 p ( [Q / A1 ]^2 - [ Q / A2 ]^2 )

Notice that the square should be on the entire fraction, not just the numerator. Using this formula, you should get the correct answer of 247 Pa.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the relationship between sound levels and Bernoulli's principle?

The relationship between sound levels and Bernoulli's principle is that as the speed of a fluid (such as air) increases, the pressure decreases. In the case of sound, this means that as the speed of sound waves increases, the pressure of the surrounding air decreases. This is why loud sounds are often associated with high sound levels.

2. How is sound level measured?

Sound level is measured using a unit called decibels (dB). This unit measures the intensity of sound waves and is based on a logarithmic scale. This means that a doubling of sound intensity corresponds to an increase of approximately 3 dB.

3. What is the threshold of hearing?

The threshold of hearing is the minimum sound level that can be detected by the human ear. It is typically around 0 dB, although this can vary depending on factors such as age and hearing ability.

4. How do sound levels affect our health?

Exposure to high sound levels can have negative effects on our health. Prolonged exposure to loud noises can lead to hearing loss, tinnitus, and other auditory problems. It can also cause stress, sleep disturbance, and other psychological effects.

5. How can sound levels be controlled?

Sound levels can be controlled through various methods, such as using sound-absorbing materials, isolating sound sources, and implementing noise-reducing technologies. In certain situations, regulations and noise ordinances may also be put in place to limit sound levels and protect public health.