• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Source transformations: confusing problem wording

• Thread starter EngnrMatt
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A certain practical dc voltage source can provide a current of 10.5 A when it is (momentarily) short- circuited, and can provide of 30 W to a 20 Ω load. Find the open-circuit voltage

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm pretty sure that the current entering the resistor load would have to be √(3/2), but I'm not sure exactly what to do from there. I don't quite understand what is meant by the 10.5 A when short-circuited statement. Like would that be the current through the source resistance?

Answers and Replies

gneill
Mentor

Homework Statement

A certain practical dc voltage source can provide a current of 10.5 A when it is (momentarily) short- circuited, and can provide of 30 W to a 20 Ω load. Find the open-circuit voltage

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I'm pretty sure that the current entering the resistor load would have to be √(3/2), but I'm not sure exactly what to do from there. I don't quite understand what is meant by the 10.5 A when short-circuited statement. Like would that be the current through the source resistance?
Yes on both counts. If the power source's output is shorted, the internal source resistance will be the only thing limiting the current.