Southern California is burning!

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Where is it safe?
Just pick a place that you've never heard of - nothing ever happens there.

How about Flagstaff, AZ?

Moonbear
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Someplace other than flood plains and the path of regular wildfires is a good start.
Add to that list places with high potentials for hurricanes, tornados, and/or earthquakes.

TMM
I live in Los Angeles, near the ocean. It's a beautiful place with plenty of action and stuff to do. Risk of earthquakes, fire, etc. is just something we live with. I'd rather live here than in some empty town no one's heard of where nothing happens.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I live in Los Angeles, near the ocean. It's a beautiful place with plenty of action and stuff to do. Risk of earthquakes, fire, etc. is just something we live with. I'd rather live here than in some empty town no one's heard of where nothing happens.
I prefer to live in place where the sky is blue - not brown. :rofl:

I like the quiet of the country-side. There is plenty that happens. Lots of wildlife.

Here's the first place I lived 48-50 years ago - way before "a range of superb restaurants and cafes, art galleries, museums, a fabulous seaside golf course." When I lived there, there were less than 200 people. Now it's too crowded.

http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/otways/apollobay/index.asp

The lady who lived next door to us raised goats, we grew much of what we ate, and we'd get fresh fish/seafood from the places down by the harbor or off the boats.

Last edited:
Add to that list places with high potentials for hurricanes, tornados, and/or earthquakes.
You've emptied out the whole West coast, including Alaska, every state in "Tornado Ally" (Evo has to move yet again), and all the Southeast states, as well as those around the gulf of Mexico. This cuts the country in two and now there are masses of people who have to relocate because they are uninsurable in their present location.

TMM
Actually the air isn't bad at all closer to the coast. It's more inland, near Riverside and such, that the air gets really bad.

As for the Apollo Bay, I agree that it's beautiful, it's just that I wouldn't be able to live there very long without losing my mind. You have your perfect place and I have mine; I'm just presenting the sort of viewpoint that many Californians have that makes them stay in such a dangerous place.

Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I live in San Diego. Fortunately I didn't have to evacuate, I live near UCSD and even though the fire got very near we were lucky. All this stuff seems a cathastrophe, half of the county burnt out. I am not republican or democrat, but I honestly think that Governator's team and San Diegan authorities and firefighters got a straight A when dealing with these fires. A good example of organization and care about people. They evacuated more people than needed to be cautious, and it is a remarkable figure to have only 1 victim, as far as I know, that was directly related to the fire (the rest of them were old people who died by natural causes during evacuations, and the bodies found may be already dead when fire started).

I live in San Diego. Fortunately I didn't have to evacuate, I live near UCSD and even though the fire got very near we were lucky. All this stuff seems a cathastrophe, half of the county burnt out. I am not republican or democrat, but I honestly think that Governator's team and San Diegan authorities and firefighters got a straight A when dealing with these fires. A good example of organization and care about people. They evacuated more people than needed to be cautious, and it is a remarkable figure to have only 1 victim, as far as I know, that was directly related to the fire (the rest of them were old people who died by natural causes during evacuations, and the bodies found may be already dead when fire started).
I think there was a kind of perfect proportion of evacuees to people not directly affected which lead to a false sense of how well this was handled. Enough people were directly affected to put the fear of God, so to speak, into the rest of us such that everyone mobilized to help them. 5/6 or 4/5 of us are imagining, very vividly, that it could have been us, and there are enough people still in good shape who are thinking in those terms that the evacuees got taken good care of in general. This wasn't the city or county or state government, but volunteers. If everyone had been hit and we were relying on the government it would have been no different than Katrina, I think.

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
A friend of one my colleagues shot this from Point Loma overlooking the bay toward SD.

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/8023/sandiegofireqv1.jpg [Broken]

Those fires were BIG! Those mountains more than 10 miles east of SD.

I believe this is the Harris fire.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, somewhere I have the same photo, taken at night, with out the fire. Thats is breath takenly beautiful..all hail the fire gods!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
That's an amazing photo!