How does the addition of a lift affect the forces on a space elevator?

In summary: Yes, but assume you don't have any mass on the cable. The tension is a constant force, right?Adding the gravity of the counterweight to this should be equal to the centripetal force.So if you'd put a mass on this tether, the total forces pulling the countermass towards the Earth will be bigger than the needed centripetal force for a circular movement.Yes, but if you overload the elevator, the tension will increase too much and it will break.
sander2798
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find out how space elevators work, but there is one think I can't figure out.

Normally, the forces on the countermass and it's tether will be as following, assuming you neglect the gravity on the tether.

d44801c9b82e92c43d7183cc28e6e340.png

But now, I put the lift somewhere on the cable (below geostationary orbit), like this.

46f57766c734dd1478b757aed4a177a3.png

The total forces added up are more than the centripetal force needed to keep the counter mass in orbit, right? So how is it that the countermass doesn't come falling down?

Thanks in advance,
Sander.

Physics news on Phys.org
sander2798 said:
So how is it that the countermass doesn't come falling down?
Analyzed from an inertial frame it is falling down. Always. It is just going sideways very fast too, which keeps the distance from decreasing despite the fact that it is being pulled strongly down.

This may be easier to understand in the rotating reference frame. In that frame it is kept up by the centrifugal force.

Last edited by a moderator:
sander2798 said:
The total forces added up are more than the centripetal force needed to keep the counter mass in orbit, right?
There is some safety factor included in the mass and position of the counterweight: there is constant tension. Imagine a permanent load attached to the cable on the ground. Moving a part of this load up doesn't change the force balance. It just reduces tension below the weight.

Likes sander2798
DaleSpam said:
Analyzed from an inertial frame it is falling down. Always. It is just going sideways very fast too, which keeps the distance from decreasing despite the fact that it is being pulled strongly down.

This !ay be easier to understand in the rotating reference frame. In that frame it is kept up by the centrifugal force.
With "falling down" I actually meant "getting closer to the earth", so I still don't understand it, but thanks for your response. :P

mfb said:
There is some safety factor included in the mass and position of the counterweight: there is constant tension. Imagine a permanent load attached to the cable on the ground. Moving a part of this load up doesn't change the force balance.

Yes, but assume you don't have any mass on the cable. The tension is a constant force, right? Adding the gravity of the counterweight to this should be equal to the centripetal force. So if you'd put a mass on this tether, the total forces pulling the countermass towards the Earth will be bigger than the needed centripetal force for a circular movement. As far as I know the result of this will be that the countermass will start coming closer to the Earth and start falling as soon as it passes geostationary orbit.

mfb said:
It just reduces tension below the weight.
It indeed reduces the tensions below the weight, but don't the tensions above the weight become bigger as a result of that?

Thanks a lot for your response!

sander2798 said:
With "falling down" I actually meant "getting closer to the earth", so I still don't understand it, but thanks for your response. :P
Well, your first diagram shows two forces, both pulling in the same direction. You mention the centripetal force but you didn't show it.

That said, in your second diagram, the magnitudes of the forces don't seem to have changed. So the anchor's disposition hasn't changed.

I think perhaps if you make your diagram more detailed it will become clearer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes sander2798
sander2798 said:
Yes, but assume you don't have any mass on the cable. The tension is a constant force, right? Adding the gravity of the counterweight to this should be equal to the centripetal force. So if you'd put a mass on this tether, the total forces pulling the countermass towards the Earth will be bigger than the needed centripetal force for a circular movement. As far as I know the result of this will be that the countermass will start coming closer to the Earth and start falling as soon as it passes geostationary orbit.
Can the cable maintain its tension if the moon moves closer to earth? And from the other way: if, for example, you decide to add some more centripetal force, what does the cable do?

Likes sander2798
sander2798 said:
It indeed reduces the tensions below the weight, but don't the tensions above the weight become bigger as a result of that?

Only if you overload the elevator. This would happen if the additional weight exceeds the initial tension. Within the safe range of operation the additional weight and the reduced tension cancel each other out.

sander2798 said:
Yes, but assume you don't have any mass on the cable. The tension is a constant force, right? Adding the gravity of the counterweight to this should be equal to the centripetal force.
It is.
sander2798 said:
So if you'd put a mass on this tether, the total forces pulling the countermass towards the Earth will be bigger than the needed centripetal force for a circular movement.
No, adding a mass does not change the upper part of the elevator at all. Tension there stays the same. The mass is "supported" by the reduced tension in the cable below the mass. The difference in tension (purely from the reduction below) balances the mass.

Likes sander2798
mfb said:
It is.No, adding a mass does not change the upper part of the elevator at all. Tension there stays the same. The mass is "supported" by the reduced tension in the cable below the mass. The difference in tension (purely from the reduction below) balances the mass.
That was exactly what I didnt understand. Good explanation, thanks a lot!

1. What are the main forces that a space elevator climber experiences?

The main forces that a space elevator climber experiences are gravity, centripetal force, and drag. Gravity is the force that pulls the climber towards the Earth. Centripetal force is the force that keeps the climber moving in a circular orbit around the Earth. Drag is the resistance force caused by the atmosphere as the climber moves through it.

2. How does gravity affect the space elevator climber?

Gravity is the primary force that affects the space elevator climber. As the climber moves away from the Earth's surface, the force of gravity decreases, causing the climber to feel weightless. However, as the climber approaches the top of the elevator, the force of gravity increases, pulling the climber back towards the Earth.

3. How does the centripetal force impact the space elevator climber?

The centripetal force is responsible for keeping the climber in a circular orbit around the Earth. As the climber moves higher up the elevator, the centripetal force decreases, causing the climber to move slower. At the top of the elevator, the centripetal force is balanced by the force of gravity, resulting in the climber remaining stationary relative to the Earth's surface.

4. What is the effect of drag on the space elevator climber?

Drag is the resistance force that the climber experiences as it moves through the Earth's atmosphere. The higher the climber goes, the thinner the atmosphere becomes, and therefore, the less drag it experiences. However, drag is still a significant factor in designing a space elevator, as it can impact the speed and stability of the climber.

5. How do these forces change as the space elevator climber moves up and down?

As the space elevator climber moves up, the force of gravity decreases, the centripetal force decreases, and the drag force decreases. However, as the climber moves down, the opposite is true – the force of gravity, centripetal force, and drag force all increase. These changes in forces must be carefully considered in the design and operation of a space elevator.