Exploring the Genre of Space Opera

• Thread starter Cladson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary, the author believes that the true origin of space opera is "horse opera", a western movie genre.
Cladson
Space Opera??

I just recently bought a book called LIGHT it's a space opera, well atleast that's what all the praisers on the back of the book call it.
Is space opera some sort of genre because the book is really weird?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
slang for a sub class of science fiction

Cladson said:
I just recently bought a book called LIGHT it's a space opera, well atleast that's what all the praisers on the back of the book call it.
Is space opera some sort of genre because the book is really weird?

A genre where galactic kingdoms fight wars with space ships zipping from star system to star system and bafflegab overcomes relativity. If this sounds a lot like Star Wars, well, you got that right.

Wasn't the term originally coined for Flash Gordon?

Sounds like a soap opera set in space. Star Trek, Deep Space Nine.

zoobyshoe said:
Sounds like a soap opera set in space. Star Trek, Deep Space Nine.

I believe the true origin was from "horse opera", slang for a western movie. Space operas were similarly shoot-em-ups, with death rays instead of six shooters, of course.

In the pulps they predated Flash Gordon. Gordon's rival Buck Rogers actually debuted in a pulp story before being converted to a comic strip. In the 1920s-1930s pulps the great name for space opera was E. E. ("Doc") Smith. He had a Ph.D. in either Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, I believe. He wrote two great space opera series, the Skylark of Space books and the even better Lensmen series. They may still be in print.

selfAdjoint said:
I believe the true origin was from "horse opera", slang for a western movie. Space operas were similarly shoot-em-ups, with death rays instead of six shooters, of course.
I'd never heard the term "horse opera" before. I googled it and it seems to refer not just to westerns, but to a specific kind of western:

http://www.press.uillinois.edu/s02/stanfield.html

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of space opera?

Space opera is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically involves adventurous and dramatic stories set in outer space. It often features epic battles, advanced technology, and larger-than-life characters.

2. What are the key elements of a space opera?

The key elements of a space opera include futuristic technology, space travel, alien civilizations, grandiose settings, and heroic characters. It also often incorporates themes of good vs. evil and the struggle for power.

3. Who are some influential authors in the genre of space opera?

Some influential authors in the genre of space opera include Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Ursula K. Le Guin, and Arthur C. Clarke. Other notable authors include George Lucas, who created the Star Wars franchise, and Gene Roddenberry, the creator of Star Trek.

4. How has space opera evolved over time?

Space opera has evolved significantly since its inception in the early 20th century. In its early years, it was often criticized for being overly simplistic and lacking scientific accuracy. However, over time, it has become more sophisticated and has incorporated more complex themes and characters.

5. What are some popular examples of space opera in modern media?

Some popular examples of space opera in modern media include the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises, as well as the works of authors such as Ann Leckie and John Scalzi. Movies, television shows, books, and video games have all featured space opera elements in recent years.