Finding Reference Frame for Spacelike Interval

• Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interval
In summary: For example, in the xy-plane, the dot-product of a vector and a line is (x,y), and the dot-product of a vector and a plane is (x,y,z). In Minkowski space, the dot-product of a vector and a timelike line is (x,t), and the dot-product of a vector and a spacelike line is (x,0).A timelike line is perpendicular to a spacelike line if the product of their slopes is 1.
ehrenfest
I am given the four-vector of two events in a reference frame S and I found that they are spacelike. I want to then find the reference frame in which these two events are simultaneous. I am still a bit confused about how this is even possible.

There is that equation:

gamma * delta t' = delta t

where t is the time interval in the original reference frame and t' is the coordinate system in the new reference frame. If the delta t' is 0, how is this equations even solvable?

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
I am given the four-vector of two events in a reference frame S and I found that they are spacelike. I want to then find the reference frame in which these two events are simultaneous. I am still a bit confused about how this is even possible.

There is that equation:

gamma * delta t' = delta t

where t is the time interval in the original reference frame and t' is the coordinate system in the new reference frame. If the delta t' is 0, how is this equations even solvable?

This is only true when in the frame where t' is measured, both events are at the same position. ie:delta x' = 0

The times in the new reference frame will depend on the x-values. what is t1 in the new frame (depends on time and position in the old frame), what is t2 in the new frame (depends on time and position in the old frame)?

Use the Lorentz transformation for time. If the interval between two events is spacelike, then there is one frame (i.e. frame with a particular velocity) where the two events are simultaneous. Similarly, if the interval is timelike, there is one frame where the events happen at the same point in space.

Last edited:
learningphysics said:
This is only true when in the frame where t' is measured, both events are at the same position. ie:delta x' = 0
Or when the direction of motion between the two reference is perpendicular to the direction of motion between the two events.

neutrino said:
Use the Lorentz transformation for time. If the interval between two events is spacelike, then there is one frame (i.e. frame with a particular velocity) where the two events are simultaneous. Similarly, if the interval is timelike, there is one frame where the events happen at the same point in space.

So if I assume that the boost is in the x-direction, I have to solve

[tex] x_0 = \gamma x_1 -5 *\gamma * \beta [/tex] which poses a very difficult challange unless you take v = 0 which does not make sense physically... [/tex]

ehrenfest said:

[tex] x_0 = \gamma x_1 -5 *\gamma * \beta [/tex] which poses a very difficult challange unless you take v = 0 which does not make sense physically... [/tex]

Can you describe how you get this equation?

The way I understand the problem... there are two events (ct0,x0,0,0) and (ct1,x1,0,0) in frame S... and in frame S':

[tex]ct_{0'} = \gamma{ct_{0}}-\beta\gamma{x_{0}}[/tex] and
[tex]ct_{1'} = \gamma{ct_{1}}-\beta\gamma{x_{1}}[/tex]

And you set [tex]ct_{0'} = ct_{1'}[/tex] and solve for v...

Note, how I used x0 and x1... may not be the way you've used it... sorry for any confusion.

If you think using [Minkowski] geometry, the answer is rather simple.

You seek the [future-pointing] unit timelike vector that is orthogonal to the spacelike vector connecting your two events. In a Euclidean plane, how do you find the vector perpendicular to another vector? (There is more than one method.) Once you find that vector, you probably want the slope of that vector. What is the Minkowskian analogue?

ehrenfest said:

Nope. I meant this: [tex]c\Delta t^\prime = \gamma\left(c\Delta t - \beta\Delta x\right)[/tex]

You know what [itex]c\Delta t'[/itex] is.

I see. So if the two events are (ct_0, x_0, x_1, x_2) = (1,2,0,0) and (3,5,0,0) in S then they are simulaneous in an S' with beta = 2/3, right?

Yes, that's right.

Note the slope of the spacelike segment joining (1,2,0,0) and (3,5,0,0) is (5-2)/(3-1)=3/2.
Note that this slope (3/2 > 1) multiplied by the slope [that you found] of the timelike segment perpendicular to it (2/3) is 1.
That is, in Minkowski space, a timelike line is perpendicular to a spacelike line if the product of their slopes is 1 [i.e., the slopes are reciprocals of each other].
In Euclidean space, the corresponding product is -1 [i.e. m2 = -1/m1 ].
You can see this is true using the appropriate dot-products.

1. What is a reference frame in relation to spacelike intervals?

A reference frame is a set of coordinates and axes that are used to describe the motion and position of objects in space. In the context of spacelike intervals, a reference frame can be thought of as a coordinate system used to measure the distance between two events that occur at different times.

2. How is a reference frame determined for a spacelike interval?

The reference frame for a spacelike interval is determined by the observer's relative motion and position in space. This can be represented by a set of coordinates, such as x, y, and z, and a time coordinate, t. The choice of reference frame is arbitrary and can be different for different observers.

3. Can a reference frame be shared between multiple observers for a spacelike interval?

Yes, a reference frame can be shared between multiple observers for a spacelike interval. This is because the relative motion and position of objects in space can be described using the same set of coordinates. However, each observer may have a different perspective on the events that occur within the reference frame.

4. How does the choice of reference frame affect the measurement of a spacelike interval?

The choice of reference frame does not affect the measurement of a spacelike interval itself, but it can affect the interpretation of the interval. For example, two observers may measure the same spacelike interval, but due to their different reference frames, they may interpret the interval differently in terms of the time and distance between the events.

5. Is there a standard reference frame for measuring spacelike intervals?

No, there is no standard reference frame for measuring spacelike intervals. The choice of reference frame is arbitrary and depends on the observer's perspective. However, some commonly used reference frames in physics include the inertial frame and the co-moving frame.