Spaces of Constant Curvature and the Ricci Tensor

In summary: But for dimension>4,Ricci tensor is zero.Indeed, I should have said that constant curvature solutions have Ricci tensor of the form:metric times a constant k, and that vacuum solutions also have this form, with k=0 for the ones without cosmological constant, and k=lambda for the ones with.So my phrasing was backwards.
Airsteve0
Hi all, I was just interested in verification of a concept. If we are given the full Riemann tensor in the form which implies constant curvature (i.e. lambda multiplying metric components) does this imply that the Ricci tensor vanishes? The question stems from why the vacuum equations cannot be constructed in dimensions less than 4. Thanks for any clarification!

Physics news on Phys.org
Airsteve0 said:
If we are given the full Riemann tensor in the form which implies constant curvature (i.e. lambda multiplying metric components)

This doesn't sound right to me. Could you write out the equation you have in mind? You seem to be confusing the existence of a cosmological constant term with constant curvature. Do you mean Riemann tensor, or Ricci tensor? If you really mean the Riemann tensor, then there are 4 indices, which can't be equated to the 2 indices of the metric.

Are you specifically interested in the Riemannian case, or semi-Riemannian as well? E.g., are you talking about applications such as cosmology, where the curvature of the spacetime is clearly not constant, but the spatial geometry of a hypersurface of constant t is a constant-curvature space?

Airsteve0 said:
Hi all, I was just interested in verification of a concept. If we are given the full Riemann tensor in the form which implies constant curvature (i.e. lambda multiplying metric components) does this imply that the Ricci tensor vanishes? The question stems from why the vacuum equations cannot be constructed in dimensions less than 4. Thanks for any clarification!

Solutions with constant curvature are vacuum solutions of the EFE, either with, or without cosmology constant(like the static ones such as Schwarzschild's), since you seem to be talking about those with lambda i.e you said"( lambda multiplying metric components)", then obviously the Ricci tensor doesn't vanish:it is lambda times the metric.

Airsteve0 said:
The question stems from why the vacuum equations cannot be constructed in dimensions less than 4. Thanks for any clarification!

It is not so much that they can be constructed but the vanishing of the Ricci tensor in less than 4-dim is trivial in the sense that the Riemann tensor reduces to the Ricci tensor (or to the Ricci scalar in two dim.) and making the Riemann tensor zero gets you a flat solution, which is not GR anymore.

TrickyDicky said:
Solutions with constant curvature are vacuum solutions of the EFE

This is incorrect. For example, Einstein's static cosmology (i.e., dust plus a fine-tuned cosmological constant) has constant curvature but is not a vacuum solution.

bcrowell said:
This is incorrect. For example, Einstein's static cosmology (i.e., dust plus a fine-tuned cosmological constant) has constant curvature but is not a vacuum solution.

Indeed, I should have said that constant curvature solutions have Ricci tensor of the form:metric times a constant k, and that vacuum solutions also have this form, with k=0 for the ones without cosmological constant, and k=lambda for the ones with.
So my phrasing was backwards.

In dimension<4,einstein eqn. are trivial(without cosmological constant).

1. What is a space of constant curvature?

A space of constant curvature is a mathematical concept used in geometry to describe a space or surface where the curvature at every point is the same. This means that the curvature does not change regardless of the direction or position on the surface.

2. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object used in the study of Riemannian geometry, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with smooth curved spaces. It is a second-order tensor that encodes information about the curvature of a space at each point.

3. How is the Ricci tensor related to the curvature of a space?

The Ricci tensor is related to the curvature of a space through the Ricci curvature equation, which states that the Ricci tensor is equal to the sum of the sectional curvatures in all possible directions at a given point. In other words, it describes the average curvature of a space in all possible directions.

4. What are the implications of having a constant curvature space?

Spaces of constant curvature have many interesting properties and implications. For example, in three-dimensional space, a constant positive curvature describes a sphere, while a constant negative curvature describes a hyperbolic space. These spaces have unique geometric properties that have been studied extensively by mathematicians and scientists.

5. How are spaces of constant curvature and the Ricci tensor used in physics?

Spaces of constant curvature and the Ricci tensor have important applications in the field of physics, particularly in the theory of general relativity. In this theory, the curvature of spacetime is described by the Ricci tensor, which allows for the prediction of the behavior of matter and energy in the presence of strong gravitational fields. Additionally, the study of spaces of constant curvature has implications for cosmology and the understanding of the universe as a whole.