Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spacing between energy level

1. Aug 3, 2011 #1
    currently i'm studying the topic entropy. According to my text, entropy will increase when the accessible energy levels (microstates) increase. One of the approach to achieve this, we can decrease the spacing between energy levels by increasing the volume of the system.

i'm confused with this idea, i need a more detailed explanation on the change in spacing between energy level.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2011 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 4, 2011 #3
    i'm still a pre-U student, so if i would like to know the derivation of the equation for energy level, i have to study quantum mechanics?

5. Aug 4, 2011 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Yes. At least, I am not aware of a non-quantum mechanical derivation.

6. Aug 4, 2011 #5
    thanks a lot =)

7. Aug 4, 2011 #6
    Just consider a particle in a box. Energy is [itex]H=p^2/2[/itex], but momentum is related to wavenumber, which is quantized by the boundary condition that the wavefunction vanishes at the edge. So allowed momentum is related to [itex]L[/itex] by [itex]p_n=n\hbar/L[/itex]. So energy spacing is inversely proportional to [itex]L^2[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook