Spatial Variation in the time between when two signals are received

In summary, the conversation discusses the observation of two light sources by two different observers, with one observer moving at a constant speed. The question asks for the speed of the moving observer relative to the stationary observer. The correct answer is .36c, and the actual time difference between receiving the two light pulses is not relevant to the problem. The question is asking for the calculated flashing time difference based on the received light pulses and the calculated distance to their origin.
dsdsuster
This #94 from the 2008 GRE:

An observer O at rest midway between
two sources of light at x = 0 and x = 10 m
observes the two sources to flash simultaneously.
According to a second observer O′, moving at a
constant speed parallel to the x-axis, one source of
light flashes 13 ns before the other. Which of the
following gives the speed of O′ relative to O ?

Answer: .36c

By using a lorentz transformation I find the 10m event always happens earlier in the O' frame by gamma*v*(10m)/c^2. However, I find that the actual amount of time between when observer O' receives the two signals is dependent on the location of the observer O' when the signals are emitted, in the spatial interval between the two signal sources.

Can anyone corroborate or refute this claim? I recover the correct answer when I assume the observer O' is halfway in between the signals when they are emitted in O. The question's construction seems to imply that there is answer independent of where O' is.

Appreciate the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
However, I find that the actual amount of time between when observer O' receives the two signals is dependent on the location of the observer O' when the signals are emitted, in the spatial interval between the two signal sources.
That is correct, but it is not relevant for the problem.
The question does not ask about the times O' receives the light pulses, but the calculated flashing time difference (based on the received light pulses and the calculated distance to their origin).

Thanks mfb,

What I'm saying is that the time interval between reception of signal A and reception of signal B is dependent on O' 's location. An intelligent observer could deduce the time interval between when the two signals are emitted and this interval as you say is dependent only on O' 's velocity.

The question is however asking for the first of what I mentioned if I'm reading it correctly?

What I'm saying is that the time interval between reception of signal A and reception of signal B is dependent on O' 's location. An intelligent observer could deduce the time interval between when the two signals are emitted and this interval as you say is dependent only on O' 's velocity.
Right.

The question is however asking for the first of what I mentioned if I'm reading it correctly?
I think it asks for the second.

Likes 1 person
Hmm, I think you're probably right now. Thanks for your help.

1. What is spatial variation?

Spatial variation refers to the differences or changes in a particular variable or phenomenon across a physical space or location. In the context of time between when two signals are received, spatial variation would refer to the differences in this time interval at different locations.

2. How is spatial variation measured?

Spatial variation can be measured using various techniques such as statistical analysis, remote sensing, and geographical information systems. In the case of time between signal receptions, it can be measured by collecting data from different locations and comparing the values of this time interval.

3. What factors can cause spatial variation in the time between signal receptions?

There are several factors that can contribute to spatial variation in the time between signal receptions, including distance between the two signals, topography of the area, atmospheric conditions, and interference from other sources. Other factors such as technical limitations and equipment calibration can also play a role.

4. What are the implications of spatial variation in the time between signal receptions?

Spatial variation in the time between signal receptions can have significant implications in various fields such as telecommunications, geology, and environmental monitoring. It can affect the accuracy and reliability of data collected and can also impact the performance of communication systems and other technological processes.

5. How can spatial variation in the time between signal receptions be mitigated?

To reduce spatial variation in the time between signal receptions, proper calibration and maintenance of equipment is essential. Additionally, techniques such as signal amplification and data averaging can also help to minimize the effects of interference and other factors that contribute to spatial variation. Additionally, using advanced technologies and techniques, such as differential GPS, can also improve the accuracy and precision of signal reception time measurements.