Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Special Relativity Course at World Science University by Brian Greene

1. Jul 4, 2017 #1

Andy_K

Gold Member

Dear All,

Just wanted to share this excellent free Special Relativity online course I came across by Brian Greene, which I believe is one of the best around. Not sure if it's been shared before here.

r0RhYA2.jpg

Special Relativity — World Science U, by Brian Greene
    http://www.worldscienceu.com/courses/university/special-relativity

The lectures are clear and interesting, supplemented with intuitive animations, interactive demonstrations and excellent exercises (each question comes with a video to explain the answer). There's also a final exam, upon which you can obtain a certificate of achievement if you score 75% or more.

Only problem is the interactive demos require a Wolfram CDF plugin, which doesn't work on most browsers anymore due to deprecated plugin technology. I found a temporary workaround for Firefox, where you have to install their ESR version, and the plugin will work (at least until early 2018). You can download it here:
    https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/

Happy learning!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 5, 2017 #2
    I did this one out of curiosity when it first came out. It's a pretty thorough treatment, with plenty of repetitious reinforcement to bang the points home. He has put a lot of work into the presentations, problems and supplementary material. I know Brian Greene comes in for a lot of stick about his pop-sci interludes, but this is not one of those.

4. Jul 5, 2017 #3

Andy_K

Gold Member

Yup, can see that he really put in a lot of effort, especially with the detailed animations and video explanations for every single question (I believe there are at least 100 - 200 of them!). He did an amazing job with World Science U. I would be willing to pay for such a good course.

Have you tried the Master courses on World Science U by other lecturers, are they good? I briefly checked out the Loop Quantum Gravity course there but it just seemed like a normal video lecture with no interactive demos or questions.

Would be great if you can share some recommendations on other good online courses, especially for relativity and quantum physics.

I certainly hope he'll release a course for General Relativity soon!

5. Jul 6, 2017 #4
    Who founded the "world science university"? Anyone to introduce please?

6. Jul 6, 2017 #5

Andy_K

Gold Member

World Science U was founded by Brian Greene, who taught the excellent Special Relativity course above. He also founded the World Science Festival.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted