Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Special relativity of two clocks

1. Jun 5, 2016 #1
    Why is it that for two clocks that are synchronised in one frame, S, but not in another, S', is there an offset in the time by a factor of ##\frac{Lv}{c}##, as measured in S'. Where L is the proper length of the body, as measured in S. I'm confused as to why there is not a factor of ##\gamma## here

Many thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 5, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why do you think there should be a factor ##\gamma##? Have you looked at how the relation is derived?

4. Jun 5, 2016 #3
    I'm pretty sure the offset in time is Lv/c2, not Lv/c (since obviously Lv/c is in units of length).

Also section 11.3 of this link has a problem that comes up with your Lv/c involving synchronized clocks on a train. It has a nice picture too showing the distance the photon must travel, which gives those two factors.

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/chap11.pdf

5. Jun 6, 2016 #4
    How careless of me- I did mean over ##c^2##. Funnily enough, this was the book that caused my confusion. I don't feel like he explains it very well. However, I have since worked it out- so all it good.

Thank you for replying though- it's very appreciated :)

6. Jun 7, 2016 #5
    Haha no it definitely could be clearer, but it does have a good picture I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted