1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Specific Gravity of Various Types of Gold

1. Apr 4, 2016 #1
    Hi guys. This is my first time posting, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong section. My professor wants me to fin the specific gravity's for gold of 10 karat through 24 karat. He hasn't given us the mass or anything, he just says that we should be able to look them up online. I've been looking online for a few days but I couldnt find all of them. Am i missing something?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2016 #2
    Pure gold, or 24-karat, is generally considered too soft for use in jewelry, so it is alloyed with other metals to increase its strength.

Eighteen-karat gold is 18/24ths, or three-quarters pure gold.
    Jewelry of this fineness is marked "18k" or "750," the European designation meaning 75 percent gold.

the specific gravity of gold is a fixed quantity.
    the mixture of other metals is region specific -like Archemedies testing the king's crown had specific mixtures - so carat to sp. gr. of gold does not carry any meaning.

4. Apr 4, 2016 #3
    I agree it inst that useful but why would my professor ask for sg's? He expects a graph of SG's plotted with karats.

5. Apr 4, 2016 #4
    then i fear you will have to mix other metals.say copper etc. and find the average sp. gr. for the different carat gold.

6. Apr 5, 2016 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

"Density of 18 karat gold" 36.300 hits
    "Density of 18K gold" 223,000 hits
    "Specific gravity of 18 karat gold" 115.000 hits
    "Specific gravity of 18K gold" 19,500 hits

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted