Specific Gravity of Various Types of Gold

In summary, the conversation is about the specific gravity of gold and how it is affected by the carat weight. The participant is seeking information on the specific gravity of 10 karat through 24 karat gold and has been looking online for a few days but couldn't find all of them. The professor wants a graph of specific gravities plotted with the different karats, which means the student will have to mix other metals and find the average specific gravity for each carat weight.
sam ham
Hi guys. This is my first time posting, so I am sorry if it is in the wrong section. My professor wants me to fin the specific gravity's for gold of 10 karat through 24 karat. He hasn't given us the mass or anything, he just says that we should be able to look them up online. I've been looking online for a few days but I couldn't find all of them. Am i missing something?

Physics news on Phys.org
sam ham said:
My professor wants me to fin the specific gravity's for gold of 10 karat through 24 karat.

Pure gold, or 24-karat, is generally considered too soft for use in jewelry, so it is alloyed with other metals to increase its strength.

Eighteen-karat gold is 18/24ths, or three-quarters pure gold.
Jewelry of this fineness is marked "18k" or "750," the European designation meaning 75 percent gold.

the specific gravity of gold is a fixed quantity.
the mixture of other metals is region specific -like Archemedies testing the king's crown had specific mixtures - so carat to sp. gr. of gold does not carry any meaning.

I agree it inst that useful but why would my professor ask for sg's? He expects a graph of SG's plotted with karats.

sam ham said:
He expects a graph of SG's plotted with karats.

then i fear you will have to mix other metals.say copper etc. and find the average sp. gr. for the different carat gold.

"Density of 18 karat gold" 36.300 hits
"Density of 18K gold" 223,000 hits
"Specific gravity of 18 karat gold" 115.000 hits
"Specific gravity of 18K gold" 19,500 hits

1. What is specific gravity?

Specific gravity is a measure of the density of a substance compared to the density of water. It is a dimensionless quantity, meaning it has no units.

2. How is specific gravity of gold determined?

The specific gravity of gold is determined by measuring the mass of a given volume of the gold sample and comparing it to the mass of the same volume of water. This ratio is then used to calculate the specific gravity.

3. What is the range of specific gravity for different types of gold?

The specific gravity of gold can vary depending on the type and purity of the gold. Generally, the range for gold is between 15.5 and 19.3, with pure gold having a specific gravity of 19.3.

4. How does the specific gravity of gold affect its value?

The specific gravity of gold is used to determine the purity of the gold. The higher the specific gravity, the purer the gold is considered to be. This can affect the value of the gold, as purer gold is typically more valuable.

5. Can the specific gravity of gold be used to identify different types of gold?

Yes, the specific gravity of gold can be used as an identifying characteristic for different types of gold. For example, alluvial gold typically has a lower specific gravity than gold found in quartz veins. This can help geologists and miners determine the source of the gold.