Specific heat capacity of brass

In summary, the conversation is about a lab experiment where the objective is to find the specific heat capacity of brass using a copper calorimeter. The data collected includes the mass of the brass, mass of the calorimeter, and mass of water used. The formulas used to solve for the specific heat capacity include (Mc*cc + Mw*cw)(T1-T2) and C=H/mΔT. After several attempts, the results are consistently incorrect and the individuals involved suspect a possible error with a decimal point or a source of heat loss/gain during the experiment. The expert suggests examining the equipment and procedure for possible sources of error and verifying the data and measurements.
emmfranklin

Homework Statement

i getting the wrong the answer

i am

trying to find the specific heat capacity of brass
using copper calorimeter
Data :
mass of brass bob= 32.5gm
mass of calorimeter = 39.7 gm
mass of water + calorimeter = 93.9gm

mass of water = 93.9 - 39.7 = 54.2g

specific heat of water = 4.2 j/gm deg Cel
specific heat of copper = 0.382 j/gm deg cel

Temp of water = 23 deg cel
Temp of brass = 94 deg cel

temp of mixture = 47 deg cel

Homework Equations

formulas used..

part A

(Mc*cc + Mw*cw)(T1-T2)

(mass of the calorimeter* specific heat of the calorimeter + mass of the water*specific heat of the water)*Fall in the temperature.

Part B
C=H/mΔT

The Attempt at a Solution

part A being solved

(mass of the calorimeter* specific heat of the calorimeter + mass of the water*specific heat of the water)*Fall in the temperature.

(39.7 * 0.386) + (54.2 * 4.2) * (47-23)
(15.3242 + 227.64) * 24

242.9642 * 24

part b being solved.

C=H/mΔT
= 5831.1408/ 32.5 * 47

= 5831.1408 / 1527.5

= 3.8174407856

specific heat of brass = 3.8174407856 j/gm deg cel

this answer is wrong

the expected answer is 0.3817

where am i going wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
The SHC of brass should be roughly similar to that of copper because brass is made from copper so the book answer is probably correct and google confirms it..

In which case the heat lost by the brass is

E = 0.3817 * 32.5 * (94-47) = 583 Joules

If the water (alone) rises from 23 to 47 then the energy gained by the water is

E = 4.2 * 54.2 * (47-23) = 5463 Joules

so I think there is something wrong with the original data.

hi CWatters

I and my colleague tried this experiment many times . but we come to almost the same wrong answer.

we are not able to find where could the data go wrong.

The result would come out better if the mass of the brass happened to be 10x higher (325gm rather than 32.5gm). Possible transcription error?

Thanks sir for your prompt reply

But I checked the mass there is no transcription error

It is 32.5 grams

But similarly I too doubt that somewhere there is an issue with a decimal point

But I can't figure out

emmfranklin said:
Thanks sir for your prompt reply

But I checked the mass there is no transcription error

It is 32.5 grams

But similarly I too doubt that somewhere there is an issue with a decimal point

But I can't figure out

Is this a problem from a text, or is it data reduction from a laboratory experiment that you have performed? You mention that you and your colleague "tried the experiment many times"...

It is a data from a lab experiment

emmfranklin said:
It is a data from a lab experiment

Ah. I see. After examining the procedure and the equipment and after a trial run, did you make a list of possible sources of error? Is there any place that heat might come from or escape to during the experimental runs?

Is it possible the thermocouple is measuring the temperature of the water close to the brass bob and that it's not 47C everywhere?

Thanks again

I'll verify the points you suggested and get back to you later

And also go through possible errors

1. What is the specific heat capacity of brass?

The specific heat capacity of brass is approximately 0.38 joules per gram per degree Celsius (J/g°C). This value can vary slightly depending on the composition of the brass alloy.

2. How does the specific heat capacity of brass compare to other metals?

Brass has a lower specific heat capacity compared to most other metals, such as copper and aluminum. This means that it requires less energy to raise the temperature of brass compared to these other metals.

3. Why is the specific heat capacity of brass important?

The specific heat capacity of a material is important because it determines how much energy is needed to raise the temperature of the material. This knowledge is useful in various industrial and scientific applications, such as in designing heating and cooling systems.

4. Does the specific heat capacity of brass change with temperature?

Yes, the specific heat capacity of brass (and most other materials) changes with temperature. As the temperature increases, the specific heat capacity of brass also increases.

5. How is the specific heat capacity of brass measured?

The specific heat capacity of brass can be measured by heating a known mass of brass to a specific temperature and then measuring the amount of energy required to raise its temperature by a certain amount. This value can also be calculated using the mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature of the brass.