Calculating Heat Capacity of Calorimeter

In summary, the individual is seeking help in understanding how to calculate the heat capacity of a calorimeter based on a given experiment. They have provided information about the experiment and are unsure about the calculations involving watts and temperature. With guidance, they have come to understand that heat capacity is measured in J/K and that they do not need to multiply by the temperature rise in order to calculate the heat capacity of the calorimeter. The final answer for the heat capacity is 10 kJ. They are grateful for the assistance.
Armitage12
Need a little help, as I seem to have gotten confused.
Looking over past exam questions for the heat capacity of a calorimeter, this one is the one I am looking at :

A sample of the sugar fructose (C6H12O6) of mass 0.900 gwas placed in a calorimeter and
ignited inthe presence of excess oxygen, at the saturation vapour pressure of water and at
constant volume.The temperature rose by 1.4 K.
The calorimeter had previously been calibrated by passing an electrical current through a heating
tape for 100 s. The power supplied to the tape was 500 W and the temperature of the calorimeter
rose by 5 K

Right. The reason I am confused, is the textbook I've been reading from had similar worked examples, however they didn't have any values in watts. They have in Ampere and Volts.
As far as I am aware 1 watt is equal to 1j/s..

So to work the heat capacity of the calorimeter,
would i:

1) 500W*60 to get to 8.3 J/s
2) then multiply by 100s and divide by the 5K.
3) then multiply this answer by 1.4k, to get 233.3 joules.
4) Finally, divide by 1000, to get the heat capacity of the calorimeter at 0.23KJ?

Or am I way off?

Physics news on Phys.org
Armitage12 said:
Or am I way off?
Waayyy ooblackf.
Armitage12 said:
heating tape for 100 s
This is a clue.
Armitage12 said:
500 W
This is another clue. Hint, what's "Watt" mean, what are the units?
Armitage12 said:
rose by 5 K
Then, divide.

The units of W is one Joule per second?, so If i multiply the 500W by the 100s. I get 50000 J?
Do I then divide this by the 5K? Finally multiply by the 1.4k? to get the final answer at 14Kj?

Bystander said:
Waayyy ooblackf.

This is a clue.

This is another clue. Hint, what's "Watt" mean, what are the units?

Then, divide.

Armitage12 said:
The units of W is one Joule per second?, so If i multiply the 500W by the 100s. I get 50000 J?
Do I then divide this by the 5K? Finally multiply by the 1.4k? to get the final answer at 14Kj?

Or do I need not multiply by the 1.4k.

Is it simply 500w x 100s/ 5k= 10,000J/1000= 10kJ??

Why so uncertain?
Armitage12 said:
answer at 14Kj
Upper case "K" denotes Kelvin, or degrees Kelvin (same size as C); you'll want lower case "k" to denote "kilo" or thousand; lower case "j" has a number of meanings, but none indicate Joule, or upper case "J." Other than that, you're in business.

Armitage12 said:
Or do I need not multiply by the 1.4k.
Now I know why you're uncertain. What's the definition of "heat capacity?"

Bystander said:
Now I know why you're uncertain. What's the definition of "heat capacity?"

The amount of heat needed to raise the temperature of an object or substance by 1 degree.. So I don't need to multiply by 1.4k at the end?
Just 500W x 100s/5k= Heat capacity of Calorimeter? so 10 kJ?

Sorry its been a long day haha.

Armitage12 said:
heat needed to raise the temperature of an object or substance by 1 degree
Think. What are the units? You multiplied watts by seconds and got joules. If you divide joules by temperature, what do you get for units?

I would of assumed J/K?

Yes. Now, you know the heat capacity of the calorimeter. You know the temperature rise for a particular measurement. How do you calculate the heat released in that measurement?

Bystander said:
Yes. Now, you know the heat capacity of the calorimeter. You know the temperature rise for a particular measurement. How do you calculate the heat released in that measurement?

So now I just multiply it by the 1.4K? to get the amount of heat released as I had it in J/K. So as it was in Joules per kelvin, if i times by 1.4 Kelvin, the heat will adjust, so I will know how much?

But the question was only asking for the heat capacity of the calorimeter? not how much heat was released? So I am right in assuming, that for just the heat capacity of the calorimeter, I don't need to multiply by the 1.4K?

Correct.

Bystander said:
Correct.
You were a massive help, really appreciate it!

What is a calorimeter and how does it work?

A calorimeter is a device used to measure the heat released or absorbed during a chemical reaction or physical process. It consists of an insulated container, a thermometer, and a stirrer. The process involves placing a known mass of substance in the calorimeter and measuring the temperature change to calculate the heat released or absorbed.

What is the heat capacity of a calorimeter?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of the calorimeter by 1 degree Celsius. It is measured in units of joules per degree Celsius (J/°C).

How do you calculate the heat capacity of a calorimeter?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter can be calculated by performing a calibration experiment. This involves adding a known amount of heat to the calorimeter and measuring the resulting temperature change. The heat capacity is then calculated by dividing the heat added by the temperature change.

What factors can affect the heat capacity of a calorimeter?

The heat capacity of a calorimeter can be affected by the material and size of the calorimeter, the type of insulation used, and the presence of any impurities or contaminants in the substances being measured. Additionally, the specific heat capacity of the substances being measured can also affect the overall heat capacity of the calorimeter.

Why is it important to calculate the heat capacity of a calorimeter?

Calculating the heat capacity of a calorimeter is important because it allows for accurate measurements of heat released or absorbed during a reaction or process. This information can then be used to determine the enthalpy change of the reaction or the specific heat capacity of a substance.