1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Specific Heat (kCal and J) for copper, help please!

1. Sep 22, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How much heat is required to raise the temperature of a 50 gram cube of copper from 20 degrees Celsius to 45 degrees Celsius? (in kcal and J)
    Specific Heat(20degrees Celsius) for Copper (kcal/kg x degrees Celsius) is 0.092. and the Specific Heat for Copper (J/kg x degrees Celsius) is 385.

2. Relevant equations
    H = mc (triangle) T

3. The attempt at a solution
    so the first thing I did was convert the 50 grams to 0.05 kg, then I set up the equation by putting "H = 0.05kg x 20degrees x 25 degrees. but then that's where i got stuck because I didn't know how to incorporate the specific heat into this.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2011 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

I highlighted a couple of items in your post; the thing you wanted to calculate.

You know m - you even converted it to kg; good.
    You know C [you were given its value in 2 unit systems, I would be using the SI unit value to find Joules.
    You know delta T [20 to 45 equals a change of .....]

Substitute and calculate.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook