Spectacular Spiral May Encircle Milky Way

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent discovery that one of the arms of our galaxy may do a full 360 rotation, increasing the likelihood that our galaxy is a rare cosmic beauty. The conversation also touches on the beauty and envy of the galaxy's spiral structure, the direction of rotation, and the impressive visualizations used to study it.
CygnusX-1
by Ken Croswell

One of our galaxy’s arms may do a full 360, upping the chances that our galactic home is a rare cosmic beauty.

Full story---including an excellent map of the Milky Way---at Scientific American.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

The Milky Way certainly looks ”glorious” as depicted in the photo. I suppose that the “gloriousness” of the spiral structure depends on the means used to observe it, and the angle. And who is observing it for that matter. “Envy of its spiral neighbors”? Also strange that Scientific American says that the rotation is counterclockwise. Not a very well written article in my opinion. Interesting information though.

Johninch said:
strange that Scientific American says that the rotation is counterclockwise.
Apart from it being a matter of convention you choose w/r to the vantage point, the article doesn't say that. It says the arm "spirals outwards" in that direction, which is opposite to the direction of spin, as can be seen in the picture they used for visualisation.

Bandersnatch said:
Apart from it being a matter of convention you choose w/r to the vantage point, the article doesn't say that. It says the arm "spirals outwards" in that direction, which is opposite to the direction of spin, as can be seen in the picture they used for visualisation.

You're right. Reading the article again, I understand that the comment on direction refers to the picture of the galaxy and not to the galaxy. Quite amazing how they make such a picture though.

In that case, I withdraw my remark about the gloriousness. It is the picture which is indeed glorious.

Related to Spectacular Spiral May Encircle Milky Way

What is the "Spectacular Spiral May Encircle Milky Way"?

The "Spectacular Spiral May Encircle Milky Way" is a newly discovered spiral structure that is believed to be surrounding our own Milky Way galaxy.

How was this spiral structure discovered?

This spiral structure was discovered by analyzing data from the European Space Agency's Gaia satellite, which is mapping the positions and movements of more than a billion stars in our galaxy.

What is the significance of this discovery?

This discovery is significant because it provides new insight into the structure and evolution of our galaxy. It also raises questions about the origin of this spiral structure and its potential impact on our understanding of the Milky Way.

How large is the "Spectacular Spiral May Encircle Milky Way"?

The spiral structure is estimated to be around 10,000 light years in diameter, making it one of the largest structures in our galaxy.

What does this discovery mean for future research on the Milky Way?

This discovery opens up new avenues for research on the Milky Way, as scientists will now be able to study the effects of this spiral structure on the galaxy's dynamics and evolution. It also highlights the importance of continued exploration and observation of our own galaxy.