Spectrum of a Linear Operator

In summary: I)f_n\| \rightarrow 0 . Using the same equation as before, we can see that for any f_n in the sequence, we have:f_n(x)(\phi(x) - \lambda) = 0 which implies that:\phi(x) = \lambda Therefore, the approximate point spectrum of M_\phi is given by:\sigma_{ap}(M_\phi) = \{\lambda \in \mathbb{C}: \phi(x) = \lambda \text{ for almost all } x \in X \} Finally, let's consider the point spectrum of M_\phi . The point spectrum, denoted by \sigma_p(M_\phi
Nusc

Homework Statement

Let
[tex] 1 \leq p \leq \infty [/tex] and let [tex] (X,\Omega, \mu) [/tex]
be a [tex]\sigma[/tex]-finite measure space.

For [tex]\phi \in L^\infty(\mu) [/tex], define [tex] M_\phi [/tex] on [tex] L^p(\mu) [/tex] by [tex] M_\phi f = \phi f \forall f \in L^(X,\Omega,\mu)[/tex].
I need to find the following:

[tex] \sigma(M_\phi) [/tex], [tex]\sigma_ap(M_\phi)[/tex], and [tex]\sigma_p(M_\phi)[/tex]

Homework Equations

where
[tex] \sigma = \{\alpha \in F: a-\alpha [/tex] is not invertible [tex]\} [/tex]
[tex]\sigma_{ap} \equiv \{ \lambda \in C[/tex] : there is a sequence [tex]\{x_n\} [/tex] in X such that [tex]||x_n|| = 1 [/tex] for all n and [tex] ||(A-\lambda)x_n||\rightarrow 0 \}[/tex] and

and [tex]\sigma_p \equiv \{\lambda in C: ker(A-\lambda) \neq (0)\}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Your help is invaluable - I have no idea how to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org

First, let's define the operator M_\phi on L^p(\mu) more explicitly. For any f \in L^p(\mu) , we have:
M_\phi f = \phi f = \phi(x)f(x) d\mu(x)
where \phi(x) is the pointwise multiplication of \phi and f and d\mu(x) is the measure on (X,\Omega) .

Now, let's consider the spectrum of the operator M_\phi . The spectrum, denoted by \sigma(M_\phi) , is the set of all complex numbers \lambda such that M_\phi - \lambda I is not invertible, where I is the identity operator. In other words, \sigma(M_\phi) is the set of all \lambda such that there exists f \in L^p(\mu) such that (M_\phi - \lambda I) f = 0 .

To find the spectrum, we need to solve the equation (M_\phi - \lambda I) f = 0 . We can rewrite this equation as:
\phi(x)f(x) - \lambda f(x) = 0
which implies that:
f(x)(\phi(x) - \lambda) = 0
Since f(x) cannot be zero for all x \in X (otherwise, f would not be a non-zero function in L^p(\mu) ), we must have:
\phi(x) - \lambda = 0
which gives us:
\phi(x) = \lambda
Therefore, the spectrum of M_\phi is given by:
\sigma(M_\phi) = \{\lambda \in \mathbb{C}: \phi(x) = \lambda \text{ for almost all } x \in X \}

Next, let's consider the approximate point spectrum of M_\phi . The approximate point spectrum, denoted by \sigma_{ap}(M_\phi) , is the set of all complex numbers \lambda such that there exists a sequence \{f_n\} \subset L^p(\mu) with \|f_n\| = 1 for all n and \|(M_\phi - \

1. What is the spectrum of a linear operator?

The spectrum of a linear operator is the set of all complex numbers for which the operator does not have an inverse. It is denoted by σ and is a fundamental concept in functional analysis.

2. What are the three types of spectrum of a linear operator?

The three types of spectrum are the point spectrum, the continuous spectrum, and the residual spectrum. The point spectrum consists of eigenvalues, the continuous spectrum is made up of non-eigenvalues, and the residual spectrum includes all the remaining points in the spectrum.

3. How is the spectrum of a linear operator related to the eigenvalues of the operator?

The eigenvalues of a linear operator are a subset of the spectrum. They are the points in the spectrum for which the operator has a non-trivial kernel, meaning there is a non-zero vector that is mapped to 0 by the operator. However, not all points in the spectrum are eigenvalues.

4. What is the significance of the spectrum of a linear operator?

The spectrum provides important information about the behavior of a linear operator. It can indicate whether the operator is invertible, compact, or self-adjoint. It also plays a crucial role in solving differential equations and other problems in mathematics and physics.

5. How is the spectrum of a linear operator calculated?

The spectrum of a linear operator can be calculated by finding the roots of the characteristic polynomial, which is obtained by setting the determinant of the operator's matrix representation equal to 0. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by using functional calculus or other specialized methods depending on the properties of the operator.