Spectrum of Pulses: Fast Rise/Fall Times & Discrete Peaks

• Thread starter amfmrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spectrum
In summary, Norman found that when he sent a sequence of pulses with a short pulse width and high frequency, the pulses had a classical (Sinx/x)^2 power spectrum. However, when he increased the pulse width to 30 nanoseconds and sent the pulses at a higher frequency (10 MHz), he saw discrete lines peaking at the envelope of the (Sinx/x)^2 spectrum. He then modeled the spectrum and found that the equation given (P(f)=(VT)^2 * [Sin(x)/x]^2 * [1/(1+y^2)] * [Sin(Nz)/Sin(z)]^2) is correct. However, this function does crazy
amfmrad
I have a spectrum analyzer and pulse generator. I decided to see what the spectrum of a sequence of pulses was and found some surprises. The pulses have very fast rise and fall times (5 nanoseconds) with a pulse width of 30 nanoseconds. As a result I obtained the classical (Sinx/x)^2 power spectrum when the pulse period was long (>> 100 nanoseconds). However, as I increased the frequency of the pulse generator to up to 10 MHz (100 nanosecond pulse period) I saw discrete lines peaking at the envelope of the (Sinx/x)^2 spectrum. I then decided to model the spectrum and obtained the following equation which I would like to verify;

P(f)=(VT)^2 * [Sin(x)/x]^2 * [1/(1+y^2)] * [Sin(Nz)/Sin(z)]^2

P(f)=Power Spectrum at frequency f
V=Peak pulse voltage
T=Pulse Width (30 nanoseconds)
Tau=Exponential pulse rise time and fall time (5 nanoseconds)
Tp=Pulse Period (Pulse frequency=1/Tp) (40 nanoseconds minimum)
N= The number of pulses in the sequence (not critical but I use a number like 10 or 100)

x=pie*f*T with pie=3.14196...
y=2*pie*f*Tau
z=pie*f*Tp

I rechecked the equation and believe it to be correct. The calculated spectrum looks like what I see on the spectrum analyzer (discrete lines peaking at the single pulse spectrum) due to the last term in the equation [Sin(Nz)/Sin(z)]^2 which becomes unity at f = m/(2NTp) with m=0,1,2,.. However, this function does crazy things for other frequencies, which I can't explain?.

Incidentally, I have details of my calculations as well as graphs and pictures of the calculated and measured spectra but I don't know how to attach it?

Thanks to those interested.

Norman

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
If your spectrum is rising above the sinc^2 envelope then you must have some other source of energy corrupting your system. I would guess that you have some irregularity in your pulse width (called Duty Cycle Distortion (DCD)).

From the text of your post it sounds like you are sending a clock pattern but if that is the case then you would not see the sinc^2 envelope but discrete peaks. Could you please clarify? If you randomized the data pattern then you would see the sinc^2 envelope.

An excellent summary of the spectral content of signals can be found here:
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/an/AN3455.pdf

Thanks for information and reference. You are correct that the spectrum never goes above the envelope of the single pulse spectrum (Sinx/x)^2. It all makes better sense now. I was hoping, however, to find a reference to the derivation and unusual property of the function (SinNz/Sinz)^2?

Norman

1. What is the spectrum of pulses?

The spectrum of pulses refers to the range of frequencies present in a pulse signal. A pulse signal is a type of signal that consists of discrete bursts of energy, rather than a continuous wave. The spectrum of pulses can be analyzed to determine the frequency components and characteristics of the pulse signal.

2. What are fast rise/fall times in the spectrum of pulses?

Fast rise/fall times refer to the speed at which the pulse signal changes from its minimum to maximum amplitude and vice versa. In the spectrum of pulses, this can be seen as sharp peaks in the frequency domain. The faster the rise/fall times, the higher the frequency components present in the pulse signal.

3. How are fast rise/fall times and discrete peaks related in the spectrum of pulses?

Fast rise/fall times and discrete peaks are closely related in the spectrum of pulses. As mentioned, fast rise/fall times result in sharp peaks in the frequency domain. These peaks correspond to the discrete frequencies present in the pulse signal. Therefore, a pulse signal with fast rise/fall times will have more discrete peaks in its spectrum.

4. What is the significance of fast rise/fall times and discrete peaks in the spectrum of pulses?

The presence of fast rise/fall times and discrete peaks in the spectrum of pulses can provide valuable information about the nature of the pulse signal. For example, fast rise/fall times can indicate a high-speed or high-frequency signal, while discrete peaks can reveal the specific frequencies present in the pulse signal. This information can be useful in various fields, such as signal processing and communication systems.

5. How can the spectrum of pulses be analyzed and measured?

The spectrum of pulses can be analyzed and measured using various techniques, including Fourier analysis, autocorrelation, and spectrum analyzers. These methods involve transforming the time-domain pulse signal into the frequency domain, where the spectrum can be visualized and analyzed. Specialized equipment, such as oscilloscopes and signal generators, can also be used to measure and analyze the spectrum of pulses.