1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed, distance and spring on a track

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Tarzan (m=90kg) presses against a horizontal spring with spring constant k=81000N/m ( on a frictionless surface), compressing it by 100 cm. After loosing contact with the spring, Tarzan starts going down an 11.0 m high hill that is frictionless, and then starts to go up a frictionless incline of 30o on the other side. How far along the slope will Tarzan get?
    Picture can be found here https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315325"

2. Relevant equations

e=0.5mv2
    eg=mgh
    spring = 0.5kx2

3. The attempt at a solution

this question very similar to a previous question i posted but i can not seem to carry it forward and find the distance the person would travel it they went up the hill of the frictionless hill. i first found the speed which was 30 m/s. since the track is frictionless i assummed the speed would be the same and set up and another equation 0.5mv2=mgh where h= dsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex] and i solved for d this didnt work out ..pls. help

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2009 #2
    The speed wouldn't be the same all along the track. Tarzan accelerates down the hill and decelerates up the ramp.

4. Jun 7, 2009 #3
    so do i find the acceleration of the person using a kinematic equation where the acclerration is gravity - x. x being the deceleration>>??

5. Jun 7, 2009 #4

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Use conservation of energy. Acceleration is not needed here.

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5
    if i used conservation of energy then wouldn't this be right 0.5mv2=mgh where h= dsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]

7. Jun 8, 2009 #6

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You forgot the initial gravitational potential energy. Also, you dont need to calculate initial velocity. Just use the spring potential energy.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  8. Jun 8, 2009 #7
    so then wld it look like mghinitial+0.5*kx2= mgdsin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]...where hinitial= 11m ??

9. Jun 8, 2009 #8

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

correct.

10. Jun 8, 2009 #9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook