1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed due to gravity

1. Jun 1, 2010 #1
    This is a revision question for a test ive got. Just want to check my answer.

An asteroid with mass of 1.8*1015kg and radius of 6.7km attracts a spacecraft that has come into its gravitational influence. What speed will the spcaecraft crash into the surface. intial speed of spacecraft is negilable.

its a multiply choice and i choose it is impossible to calculate without knowing the mass of the spacecraft.

the equation i would have used is -Gm1m2/r

this right? or is there a way of working out the speed without knowing the mass?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2010 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, it is a way to find the speed without knowing the mass of the spacecraft.

You said you would have used the equation -Gm1m2/r, but its is not an equation without the other side. What is it equal to?

ehild

4. Jun 1, 2010 #3
    well i worked out the gravitaional pull of the asteroid by using Gm1/r^2 and found it to be 0.0026757m/s which makes sense as its a small object. But im not sure where to go from there as i dont know a, the distance the spacecraft is and b, the mass of the spacecraft so cant use the normal a=f/m

5. Jun 1, 2010 #4

Cyosis

Homework Helper

Hint: Energy conservation: E(infinity)=E(distance at which it impacts the asteroid)

6. Jun 1, 2010 #5
    lol im really lost now

7. Jun 1, 2010 #6
    The total energy (gravitational and kinetic) of the system remains conserved throughout the interaction ie. total initial energy = total final energy.
    Basically, use the energy approach in tackling this problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook