Calculating Speed of Spacecraft in Gravity Field

In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed at which a spacecraft will crash into the surface of an asteroid. The initial speed of the spacecraft is negligible and the equation -Gm1m2/r is mentioned as a possible way to calculate the speed. However, it is not a complete equation without knowing the other side and the mass of the spacecraft. The concept of energy conservation is then introduced as a possible approach to solving the problem.
ghostbuster25
This is a revision question for a test I've got. Just want to check my answer.

An asteroid with mass of 1.8*1015kg and radius of 6.7km attracts a spacecraft that has come into its gravitational influence. What speed will the spcaecraft crash into the surface. intial speed of spacecraft is negilable.

its a multiply choice and i choose it is impossible to calculate without knowing the mass of the spacecraft .

the equation i would have used is -Gm1m2/r

this right? or is there a way of working out the speed without knowing the mass?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ghostbuster25 said:
its a multiply choice and i choose it is impossible to calculate without knowing the mass of the spacecraft .

the equation i would have used is -Gm1m2/r

this right? or is there a way of working out the speed without knowing the mass?

Yes, it is a way to find the speed without knowing the mass of the spacecraft .

You said you would have used the equation -Gm1m2/r, but its is not an equation without the other side. What is it equal to?

ehild

well i worked out the gravitaional pull of the asteroid by using Gm1/r^2 and found it to be 0.0026757m/s which makes sense as its a small object. But I am not sure where to go from there as i don't know a, the distance the spacecraft is and b, the mass of the spacecraft so can't use the normal a=f/m

Hint: Energy conservation: E(infinity)=E(distance at which it impacts the asteroid)

lol I am really lost now

The total energy (gravitational and kinetic) of the system remains conserved throughout the interaction ie. total initial energy = total final energy.
Basically, use the energy approach in tackling this problem.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field?

To calculate the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field, you need to use the equation v = sqrt(GM/r), where v is the speed, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet or object creating the gravity, and r is the distance between the spacecraft and the center of the planet or object.

2. Why is it important to calculate the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field?

Calculating the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field is important because it allows us to understand and predict the spacecraft's trajectory, as well as ensure that it is moving at a safe and efficient speed.

3. What factors can affect the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field?

The speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field can be affected by several factors, including the mass and distance of the planet or object creating the gravity, the mass and speed of the spacecraft itself, and any external forces acting on the spacecraft.

4. Can the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field change over time?

Yes, the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field can change over time. This can happen if the spacecraft's distance from the center of the planet or object changes, or if external forces, such as thrust or atmospheric drag, are acting on the spacecraft.

5. How is calculating the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field different from calculating its speed in space?

Calculating the speed of a spacecraft in a gravity field is different from calculating its speed in space because the presence of a gravity field can significantly impact the spacecraft's speed and trajectory. In space, the spacecraft's speed is primarily affected by its own propulsion systems and any external forces acting on it.