Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of electron flow through a conductor

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    Is the speed of electron flow through a conductor such as copper equivalent to 'c'?
    I've heard of this being implied several times, but is it a fact?
    I know it can't be exactly the same as 'c' because we are not talking of energy propagating though a vacuum.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    I'm not an expert but I know the speed of electrons in a conductor like copper is measured in cm/s.
    It's the electromagnetic field that propagates with such a speed: in fact when we turn on the light the sensation is that there isn't delay in trasmission of current.
    This fact is similar to open a tap or faucet on a pipe; a pressure wave propagates through and water, which has a smaller speed, goes out because the pipe is already full of water.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    Thanks both.
    So 'c' is not actually a relevant factor at all, although the electromagnetic field generated by a current does travel at a speed approaching c.
    (whereas the actual drift speed of electrons themselves is nowhere near c and can vary depending on various parameters).

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Furthermore, there is another mistaken idea that the energy carried is something to do with the Kinetic Energy of the flowing charges. A moment's thought should put that to bed when you consider the mass of a single electron (1/ (many thousands) of each atom) and a mean speed of a few mm/s and then think of the energy transferred by the charges in a circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook