Speed of electron flow through a conductor

• Thread starter rootone
  • Start date
rootone
Is the speed of electron flow through a conductor such as copper equivalent to 'c'?
I've heard of this being implied several times, but is it a fact?
I know it can't be exactly the same as 'c' because we are not talking of energy propagating though a vacuum.

Answers and Replies

Pierce610
I'm not an expert but I know the speed of electrons in a conductor like copper is measured in cm/s.
It's the electromagnetic field that propagates with such a speed: in fact when we turn on the light the sensation is that there isn't delay in trasmission of current.
This fact is similar to open a tap or faucet on a pipe; a pressure wave propagates through and water, which has a smaller speed, goes out because the pipe is already full of water.

rootone
Thanks both.
So 'c' is not actually a relevant factor at all, although the electromagnetic field generated by a current does travel at a speed approaching c.
(whereas the actual drift speed of electrons themselves is nowhere near c and can vary depending on various parameters).

sophiecentaur
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Furthermore, there is another mistaken idea that the energy carried is something to do with the Kinetic Energy of the flowing charges. A moment's thought should put that to bed when you consider the mass of a single electron (1/ (many thousands) of each atom) and a mean speed of a few mm/s and then think of the energy transferred by the charges in a circuit.

Suggested for: Speed of electron flow through a conductor

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies