1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of electron flow through a conductor

1. Mar 22, 2015 #1
    Is the speed of electron flow through a conductor such as copper equivalent to 'c'?
    I've heard of this being implied several times, but is it a fact?
    I know it can't be exactly the same as 'c' because we are not talking of energy propagating though a vacuum.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2015 #2
    I'm not an expert but I know the speed of electrons in a conductor like copper is measured in cm/s.
    It's the electromagnetic field that propagates with such a speed: in fact when we turn on the light the sensation is that there isn't delay in trasmission of current.
    This fact is similar to open a tap or faucet on a pipe; a pressure wave propagates through and water, which has a smaller speed, goes out because the pipe is already full of water.

4. Mar 22, 2015 #3

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

5. Mar 22, 2015 #4
    Thanks both.
    So 'c' is not actually a relevant factor at all, although the electromagnetic field generated by a current does travel at a speed approaching c.
    (whereas the actual drift speed of electrons themselves is nowhere near c and can vary depending on various parameters).

6. Mar 22, 2015 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Furthermore, there is another mistaken idea that the energy carried is something to do with the Kinetic Energy of the flowing charges. A moment's thought should put that to bed when you consider the mass of a single electron (1/ (many thousands) of each atom) and a mean speed of a few mm/s and then think of the energy transferred by the charges in a circuit.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook