Speed of Light Dilemma: Einstein's Formula E=MC^2 Explained

In summary, the "C" in the equation for E=MC^2 represents the speed of light, while c^2 represents the conversion factor from mass to energy or energy to mass. There is no contradiction.
N99JH
While listening to "Science Friday" on NPR today, I heard a Swiss physicist explaining that scientists can now produce Ant-Matter in a process based on Eintein's formula E=MC^2 whereby energy is converted into matter. Given that "C" in the formula is the speed of light and knowing that the speed of light is the fastest speed possible, left me puzzled regarding the "C^2" notion. My question is: If "C" is an ultimate constant, how can there be "C^2"? Isn't it an inherent contradiction there? If not - what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
C^2 is not a speed of anything. It is a conversion factor from mass to energy or energy to mass. There is no contradiction.

c^2 is not greater than c. They have different units. It is literally comparing apples and oranges.

It's just to make the units come out correctly. In fundamental units, mass is in kg and energy is in kg*m^2/sec^2 so we have to multiply mass times the speed of light squared (m^2/sec^2) to get the equation to have the same units on both sides.

Well, there's a surprise than! Everyone I ever talked to said that the "C" in the E=MC^2 formula represents the speed of light. Is this true or is it not? To clarify my thinking, here is a mathematical example:
If I wanted to convert a mass of 1 kg into energy, using the formula, would I not have to write it in this form?
E= 1(kg)x299,792,458(m/sec.)x299,792,458(m/sec.)=(299,792,458)^2(Kg.M^2/Sec.^2)

Last edited:
c does represent the speed of light but c^2 does not. This is nothing unusual. Consider meters.

m is a measurement of length
m^2 is not
3 m > 1 m, but you cannot compare 3 m and 1 m^2

N99JH said:
Well, there's a surprise than! Everyone I ever talked to said that the "C" in the E=MC^2 formula represents the speed of light. Is this true or is it not?

I think you're just missing some algebra here. C is the speed of light, but it's a constant in the equation. Nothing goes faster than C. The resultant answer to "e = mc^2" is not a velocity, but represents energy. The equation shows the relationship of light, matter, and energy.

Here's a page showing the derivation of the formula, if this helps: http://www.adamauton.com/warp/emc2.html

-Dave KA

Also, e=mc^2 does not imply that there is any mass actually traveling at v=c. A mass has that much energy when it is at rest (v=0)

OK, I got it now.
Thanks to all that helped clarifying.

Related to Speed of Light Dilemma: Einstein's Formula E=MC^2 Explained

1. What is Einstein's formula E=MC^2?

E=MC^2 is a famous equation derived by Albert Einstein in his theory of relativity. It states that energy (E) is equal to the mass (M) of an object multiplied by the speed of light (C) squared.

2. How did Einstein come up with this formula?

Einstein's formula was a result of his work on the theory of special relativity, which aimed to explain the relationship between space, time, and motion. He realized that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing and can be converted into each other through the speed of light.

3. What is the significance of the speed of light in this formula?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter C, is a constant in this formula and is equal to approximately 299,792,458 meters per second. It is a fundamental limit in the universe and plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of energy and mass.

4. How does this formula impact our understanding of the universe?

E=MC^2 revolutionized the field of physics and our understanding of the universe. It helped explain the relationship between mass and energy and opened up new possibilities for understanding gravity, time, and space. The formula also has practical applications, such as in nuclear energy and the development of atomic bombs.

5. Is the speed of light the fastest anything can travel in the universe?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which anything can travel in the universe. This means that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light, and as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy increase significantly.