Mass and the Speed of Light: Equations and Measurements

In summary, the conversation explores the equation that shows that as an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases to infinity. The equation is m = \frac {m_0} {\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}, and there is a discussion about its derivation and a link provided for further reading. The conversation also raises the question of how to measure an object's initial mass in a constantly accelerating expanding universe.
ThoughtProces
I was wondering if there is and what is the equations that show that as an object accelerates towards the speed of light its mass increase to infinite.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're probably thinking of this equation:

[tex]m = \frac {m_0} {\sqrt{1 - v^2 / c^2}}[/tex]

i do believe this is the equation do you have a derivation of where it comes from or could you point me to a site for which it has the derivation.

thanks

thanks for the link, it should prove to be a good read

I guess another question is how do we measure the initial mass of an object if we are all traveling at a changing velocity due to the constant acceleration of an expanding universe. Or is the initial mass relative to the expanding universe in its own frame of reference?

1. What is the speed of light?

The speed of light is a constant value in a vacuum, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second or 186,282 miles per second.

2. How is the speed of light calculated?

The speed of light can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula is represented as c = d/t, where c is the speed of light, d is the distance, and t is the time.

3. What is the mass-energy equivalence equation?

The mass-energy equivalence equation, also known as the famous E=mc^2 equation, is a formula that explains the relationship between mass and energy. It states that the energy (E) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light squared (c^2).

4. Can anything travel faster than the speed of light?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the fastest speed at which all matter and information can travel. Therefore, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light.

5. How does the speed of light affect the mass of an object?

As an object approaches the speed of light, its mass increases according to the mass-energy equivalence equation. This phenomenon, known as relativistic mass, is an effect of special relativity and is only noticeable at very high speeds.