Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Speed of light?

1. Sep 16, 2007 #1
    is it possible to make light travel faster than the actual speed of light? an unrealistic idea is to "throw" the source of light in the direction of the emitting beam....theoretically it must work.

another question does anything travel faster than light?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Not according to currently accepted physical theory (special relativity). The speed of light is the same with respect to any frame, regardless of the speed of the source.

No.

4. Sep 16, 2007 #3
  5. Sep 16, 2007 #4

Doc Al

Good link. But no "thing" (object or particle) travels faster than light.

6. Sep 16, 2007 #5
    In vacuum. :wink:

7. Sep 16, 2007 #6

Doc Al

D'oh! You got me! :tongue2:

8. Sep 16, 2007 #7
    I heard somewhere that you could lower the amount of energy in a vacuum and the speed of light itself could potentially raise by a fraction.

Not all vacuums are the same. The measure speed of light is currently only observed in one vacuum.

It wouldnt change much though...

9. Sep 16, 2007 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Would you like to make an exact citation on where you "heard" this from? Keep in mind of the speculative post no-no that is explicitly stated in the PF guidelines.

Zz.

10. Sep 16, 2007 #9

rbj

i just get tired of seeing this recur so often without people wondering if any such change in c can even be meaningful. as if we would know the difference.

quoting John Barrow:

i just wish people would ask: "how would we ever know that the speed of light has changed? ... changed relative to what??"

11. Sep 16, 2007 #10
    Someone actually posted a question on similar lines, recently...
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=1421517&postcount=5

12. Sep 16, 2007 #11

rbj

13. Sep 16, 2007 #12
    The accelerating cosmos infers that beyond the universal event horizon, unobservable spacetime moves faster than light speed relative to us.

See also the (speculative) book Faster Than Light: Superluminal Loopholes in Physics (Plume) by Nick Herbert.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?