Speed of the light and time dilation

In summary, the Lorenz-factor has a remarkable influence at speeds near to light, causing time dilation to occur even at slow speeds. However, the formula itself has no limits. This leads to different time dilation and speed of light for different speeds, as seen in the example of Venus and Mars. When two worlds with different time dilation meet, there can be problems, explained by the fact that light is always a local phenomenon. The Lorentz transformation applies to objects moving at less than the speed of light, with light itself having the same speed in all inertial frames. The "twin paradox" is an example of this, with time dilation affecting the frequency of light, not its speed. In the case of a spaceship moving at
sejyne
Lorenz-factor has remarkable influence at speeds near to light, but formula itself has no limits. So, time dilation occurs also with slow speeds.

From my point of view (an observer), Venus and Mars have different speeds which means different time dilation and this means different speed of light.

So, both planets are sending a ray of light towards me with different speeds. - Which is not possible.

If time dilation would be an imaginary phenomenon, there wouldn't be any problems. But when two worlds with different time dilation meets each others, there is a problem.

What explains this?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Lorentz transformation applies to objects moving at less than the speed of light. Light itself has the same speed in all inertial frames.

"But when two worlds with different time dilation meets each others, there is a problem."

That would be a problem except that light is literally, measurably, and physically always a local phenomenon. There is no observation of distant light. Measured, captured, seen light is always local light. In this respect, light as we know it (always local) is consistently well behaved.

sejyne said:
Lorenz-factor has remarkable influence at speeds near to light, but formula itself has no limits. So, time dilation occurs also with slow speeds.
Yes.

From my point of view (an observer), Venus and Mars have different speeds which means different time dilation and this means different speed of light.
No. A fundamental point of relativity is that the speed of light is the same in all coordinate systems. Time dilation will affect the frequency of the light, not its speed.

So, both planets are sending a ray of light towards me with different speeds. - Which is not possible.

If time dilation would be an imaginary phenomenon, there wouldn't be any problems. But when two worlds with different time dilation meets each others, there is a problem.

What explains this?

Thank you, I got some idea - and perhaps understanding comes later.

Same matter but different example:

A spaceship is flying with a speed of 30% of the light and if I calculated right, Lorenz factor is 1,05. Does it mean that the time in spaceship goes 5% slower and "twin paradox" is on the way? He's hands and heart and everything moves 5% slower except the light?

Pilot puts the light on and the ray of light goes from lamp to the window. If he checks, how much time this takes, does he's watch give the value in seconds as on the earth?

sejyne said:
Thank you, I got some idea - and perhaps understanding comes later.

Same matter but different example:

A spaceship is flying with a speed of 30% of the light
The whole point of the name "relativity" is that it makes no sense to say "speed 30% of the speed of light" without say what this is measured relative to. I assume you are postulating some observer so that the spaceship is flying at 30% of the speed of light relative to that observer.

and if I calculated right, Lorenz factor is 1,05. Does it mean that the time in spaceship goes 5% slower and "twin paradox" is on the way? He's hands and heart and everything moves 5% slower except the light?
Relative to the outside observer, yes. As far as a person in the spaceship is concerned, there is no change.

Pilot puts the light on and the ray of light goes from lamp to the window. If he checks, how much time this takes, does he's watch give the value in seconds as on the earth?

The pilot is motionless relative to the spaceship so he sees the light moving at c. The outside observer sees the light moving at speed
[tex]\frac{u+ c}{1+ \frac{uc}{c^2}}= \frac{u+ c}{1+ \frac{u}{c}}[/tex]
Multiplying both numerator and denominator by c,
[tex]\frac{(u+ c)c}{c+ u}= c[/tex]

That is, both pilot and the outside observer see light moving at speed c. That is exactly what "the speed of light is the same in any coordinate system" means.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I've got rid of one problem.

In my example the spaceship moves with a speed of 30% from 299.792.458m/s. Inside the ship, after the pilot's opinion, the light is moving 5% faster, 314.267.888m/s. When the ship goes 99% of light, the pilot's speed indicator shows 2.125.172.389m/s.

---

The "speed indicator" of the Earth has also some variation. In what month the light goes as fastest?

sejyne said:
In my example the spaceship moves with a speed of 30% from 299.792.458m/s.
OK, so your ship is moving at 0.3c with respect to something (the earth, for example).
Inside the ship, after the pilot's opinion, the light is moving 5% faster, 314.267.888m/s.
No, with respect to the ship, the light is seen to move at speed c, as usual.
When the ship goes 99% of light, the pilot's speed indicator shows 2.125.172.389m/s.
:confused:

I never believed this would be easy...

Base is the Earth and an observer is there. The spaceship moves with a speed of 30% from 299.792.458m/s and time inside the ship goes 5% slower than on the earth.

What is the speed of the light inside the space ship
a) after observer?
b) after pilot?

sejyne said:
I never believed this would be easy...

Base is the Earth and an observer is there. The spaceship moves with a speed of 30% from 299.792.458m/s and time inside the ship goes 5% slower than on the earth.

What is the speed of the light inside the space ship
a) after observer?
b) after pilot?
a) 299 792 458 m/s
b) 299 792 458 m/s
Relativity doesn't just cause time dilation, it also causes length contraction and the relativity of simultaneity.

DrGreg said:
Relativity doesn't just cause time dilation, it also causes length contraction and the relativity of simultaneity.
right!

What is the speed of light?

The speed of light, denoted by the letter c, is a fundamental constant in physics that represents the speed at which electromagnetic radiation travels in a vacuum. In 1983, it was defined to be exactly 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s) by the International System of Units (SI).

Why is the speed of light considered to be the fastest speed in the universe?

Einstein's theory of special relativity states that the speed of light is the same for all observers, regardless of their relative motion. This means that no matter how fast an observer is moving, they will always measure the speed of light to be the same. Therefore, it is considered to be the fastest speed in the universe.

What is time dilation?

Time dilation is a phenomenon that occurs when an object or observer moves at speeds close to the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory of special relativity, time slows down for objects in motion. This means that time passes slower for a moving object compared to a stationary one.

How does time dilation relate to the speed of light?

As an object moves closer to the speed of light, time dilation becomes more significant. This means that time will pass slower for the moving object compared to a stationary one. At the speed of light, time would theoretically stop for the moving object.

Can we observe time dilation in everyday life?

Yes, we can observe time dilation in everyday life, although the effect is very small. For example, GPS satellites orbiting the Earth experience time dilation due to their high speeds, causing them to have a slightly different time than clocks on Earth. This must be taken into account for the GPS system to function accurately.