Spermiogenesis and spermatogenesis etymology difference?

• Thread starter Hemant
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I searched for etymology of spermiogenesis and spermatogenesis and etymology of both words is given same that is sperm + genesis.
Can you please tell difference between these etymology as their is very less information given on internet about this.
Thanks

Answers and Replies

The term 'spermatogenesis' derives from Greek combining form 'sperma, spermat, spermato', meaning 'seed', and 'genesis', meaning 'creation'.

The term 'spermiogenesis' is similarly derived; however, it refers to the final stage of spermatogenesis, also called 'spermiation'.

Some of the Greek or Latin etymology of some scientific terms is to a greater or lesser degree conventional or contrived, one term being as justifiable as another, with scholarly usage or conscious choice setting the precedents.

Last edited:
Likes Hemant
The term 'spermatogenesis' derives from Greek combining form 'sperma, spermat, spermato', meaning 'seed', and 'genesis', meaning 'creation'.

The term 'spermiogenesis' is similarly derived; however, it refers to the final stage of spermatogenesis, also called 'spermiation'.

Some of the Greek or Latin etymology of some scientific terms is to a greater or lesser degree conventional or contrived. one term being as justifiable as another, with scholarly usage or conscious choice setting the precedents.
Thanks for helping me,
So in nutshell i have to accept it.😐