Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sphere has the minimum surface area?

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    How do you prove that for a given volume, sphere has the minimum surface area?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2013 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It is a standard problem in "Calculus of Variations" so you might also check that.

5. Jul 21, 2013 #4
    i tried to find proofs but i dont find please show me proofs

6. Jul 22, 2013 #5
    How about first doing it for a surface of revolution, say for y(x) between -1 and 1. Then the surface is:

[tex]S=2\pi \int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{1+(y')^2}dx[/tex]

and the volume of this surface of revolution is:

[tex]V=\pi \int_{-1}^1 y^2 dx[/tex]
    via discs.

Now, in the language of variation, we wish to minimize S while keeping V constant. The Euler condition for this problem is:

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial H}{\partial y'}=0[/tex]
    with
    [tex]H=V+\lambda S[/tex]

Now, I've never solved this particular variational problem before ok, but if it were mine, I'd first see if I can get a circle out of Euler's equation thus showing me that a sphere has the minimum surface area for a given volume.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  7. Jul 23, 2013 #6
    can you show me a proof in internet?

8. Jul 23, 2013 #7

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

9. Jul 23, 2013 #8
    thanks to all

10. Jul 23, 2013 #9
    I worked with it a bit but ran into a DE I couldn't solve or else I had errors. But that's ok guys, don't tell me how to do it. I rag on others here about that: pretty soon you'll get to a problem that no one else on earth can help you with and then you will have to go all by yourself so might as well get some practice. :)

Oh yeah, thanks guys for those references about isoperimetric inequality. All news to me. :)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
  11. Jul 23, 2013 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, what do you expect? That is a very technical, difficult proof, involving, as I said before, "Calculus of Variations". Whole courses are taught on that subject! It isn't something you can expect to go over in an afternoon!

12. Jul 23, 2013 #11
    I really was expecting the variational problem I set up to fall right through. Spent about an hour on it yesterday. I'm missing something because a get a really messy DE but maybe my approach is not the easiest variational formulation to use. Still though if the DE I derived at is correct, then I should be able to back-substitute the equation for a circle and get equality but when I do that I do not get equality so I got a problem.

13. Jul 23, 2013 #12
    Dang it! I'm missin' a y:

[tex]S=2\pi \int_{-1}^1 y \sqrt{1+(y')^2}dx[/tex]

I think I need to review some things first . . .

14. Jul 24, 2013 #13
    I get for the Euler equation:

[tex]1+(y')^2-yy''+\lambda y\left(1+(y')^2\right)^{3/2}=0[/tex]
    where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an arbitrary parameter.

Now, I'm going to cheat a little bit because I'm not good at this: I know the solution should be a circle, so when I substitute [itex]y(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] into the left side of the DE above, in order for it to be zero, [itex]\lambda=-2[/itex]. Therefore, we want to solve:

[tex]1+(y')^2-yy''-2y\left(1+(y')^2\right)^{3/2}=0[/tex]

I started a thread in the DE forum because I needed help to solve it. It's here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702671

Thanks to fzero and Jacquelin, we obtain:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\sqrt{y^2-(y^2-c_1)^2}}{y^2-c_1}[/tex]

Now, just for the purpose of actually making progress with this problem albeit not the best way, I'm going to let [itex]c_1=0[/itex]. Then we wish to solve:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\sqrt{1-y^2}}{y}[/tex]

with the solution being:

[tex]y^2+(x+c_2)^2=1[/tex]

Letting again [itex]c_2=0[/itex], we get the desired extremal: [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex].

All that remains to be done is to justify my particular values of the constants [itex]c_0, c_1,\lambda[/itex].

If someone can do this, I think we'd have a pretty decent proof of this theorem.

Also I forgot, this is only a necessary condition for a minimum. I think we would have to look into the second variation to prove this is a minimum.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook