Sphere has the minimum surface area?

In summary, the proof for the isoperimetric inequality in 3 dimensions for a given volume involves using the language of variation and setting up a variational problem to minimize the surface area while keeping the volume constant. This is a difficult and technical proof that requires knowledge of Calculus of Variations. The solution involves solving a differential equation and justifying the values of the constants. Additionally, this proof only shows a necessary condition for a minimum and further analysis is needed to prove that it is indeed a minimum.
persia7
How do you prove that for a given volume, sphere has the minimum surface area?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It is a standard problem in "Calculus of Variations" so you might also check that.

i tried to find proofs but i don't find please show me proofs

persia7 said:
i tried to find proofs but i don't find please show me proofs

How about first doing it for a surface of revolution, say for y(x) between -1 and 1. Then the surface is:

[tex]S=2\pi \int_{-1}^1 \sqrt{1+(y')^2}dx[/tex]

and the volume of this surface of revolution is:

[tex]V=\pi \int_{-1}^1 y^2 dx[/tex]
via discs.

Now, in the language of variation, we wish to minimize S while keeping V constant. The Euler condition for this problem is:

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial H}{\partial y'}=0[/tex]
with
[tex]H=V+\lambda S[/tex]

Now, I've never solved this particular variational problem before ok, but if it were mine, I'd first see if I can get a circle out of Euler's equation thus showing me that a sphere has the minimum surface area for a given volume.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
How about first doing it for a surface of revolution, say for y(x) between -1 and 1. Then the surface is:

and the volume of this surface of revolution is:

[tex]V=\pi \int_{-1}^1 y^2 dx[/tex]
via discs.

Now, in the language of variation, we wish to minimize S while keeping V constant. The Euler condition for this problem is:

[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial y}-\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\partial H}{\partial y'}=0[/tex]
with
[tex]H=V+\lambda S[/tex]

Now, I've never solved this particular variational problem before ok, but if it were mine, I'd first see if I can get a circle out of Euler's equation thus showing me that a sphere has the minimum surface area for a given volume.
can you show me a proof in internet?

thanks to all

persia7 said:
can you show me a proof in internet?

I worked with it a bit but ran into a DE I couldn't solve or else I had errors. But that's ok guys, don't tell me how to do it. I rag on others here about that: pretty soon you'll get to a problem that no one else on Earth can help you with and then you will have to go all by yourself so might as well get some practice. :)

Oh yeah, thanks guys for those references about isoperimetric inequality. All news to me. :)

Last edited:
Well, what do you expect? That is a very technical, difficult proof, involving, as I said before, "Calculus of Variations". Whole courses are taught on that subject! It isn't something you can expect to go over in an afternoon!

I really was expecting the variational problem I set up to fall right through. Spent about an hour on it yesterday. I'm missing something because a get a really messy DE but maybe my approach is not the easiest variational formulation to use. Still though if the DE I derived at is correct, then I should be able to back-substitute the equation for a circle and get equality but when I do that I do not get equality so I got a problem.

jackmell said:

Dang it! I'm missin' a y:

[tex]S=2\pi \int_{-1}^1 y \sqrt{1+(y')^2}dx[/tex]

I think I need to review some things first . . .

I get for the Euler equation:

[tex]1+(y')^2-yy''+\lambda y\left(1+(y')^2\right)^{3/2}=0[/tex]
where [itex]\lambda[/itex] is an arbitrary parameter.

Now, I'm going to cheat a little bit because I'm not good at this: I know the solution should be a circle, so when I substitute [itex]y(x)=\sqrt{1-x^2}[/itex] into the left side of the DE above, in order for it to be zero, [itex]\lambda=-2[/itex]. Therefore, we want to solve:

[tex]1+(y')^2-yy''-2y\left(1+(y')^2\right)^{3/2}=0[/tex]

I started a thread in the DE forum because I needed help to solve it. It's here:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702671

Thanks to fzero and Jacquelin, we obtain:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\sqrt{y^2-(y^2-c_1)^2}}{y^2-c_1}[/tex]

Now, just for the purpose of actually making progress with this problem albeit not the best way, I'm going to let [itex]c_1=0[/itex]. Then we wish to solve:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{\sqrt{1-y^2}}{y}[/tex]

with the solution being:

[tex]y^2+(x+c_2)^2=1[/tex]

Letting again [itex]c_2=0[/itex], we get the desired extremal: [itex]x^2+y^2=1[/itex].

All that remains to be done is to justify my particular values of the constants [itex]c_0, c_1,\lambda[/itex].

If someone can do this, I think we'd have a pretty decent proof of this theorem.

Also I forgot, this is only a necessary condition for a minimum. I think we would have to look into the second variation to prove this is a minimum.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of minimum surface area for a sphere?

The minimum surface area of a sphere is the smallest possible surface area that a sphere can have, while still maintaining a spherical shape.

2. How is the minimum surface area of a sphere calculated?

The minimum surface area of a sphere is calculated using the formula A = 4πr², where A is the surface area and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. Why is the minimum surface area of a sphere important?

The minimum surface area of a sphere is important because it represents the most efficient use of surface area for a given volume. This has practical applications in fields such as packaging, architecture, and biology.

4. Can the minimum surface area of a sphere be exceeded?

No, the minimum surface area of a sphere cannot be exceeded. It is the most compact and efficient shape for a given volume.

5. How does the minimum surface area of a sphere compare to other shapes?

The minimum surface area of a sphere is often considered to be the most efficient among all shapes, as it has the smallest surface area for a given volume. Other shapes, such as cubes or cylinders, may have larger surface areas for the same volume.