Spherical capacitor and vector potential

In summary: As long as your calculations are accurate and follow the appropriate formulas and methods, your result should be correct.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
There is a spherical capacitor with inner and outer radii of a and b respectively,has a dielectric material of small conductivity [itex] \sigma [/itex] between its concentric conducting spheres.Calculate vector potential and magnetic field arising from this configuration.
This is how I did it:
[itex] \nabla^2\phi=0 \Rightarrow \phi=-\frac{C}{r}+B [/itex]
[itex] R=\int_a^b \frac{dr}{4\pi \sigma r^2}=\frac{1}{4\pi\sigma}(\frac{1}{a}-\frac{1}{b}) [/itex]
[itex] I=\frac{\Delta \phi_{ab}}{R}=4\pi\sigma C[/itex]
[itex] \vec{J}=-\frac{\sigma C}{r^2}\hat{r} [/itex]
[itex] \vec{A}=\frac{\mu_0}{4\pi}\int_a^b \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} (-\frac{\sigma C}{r'^2}\hat{r})\frac{ r'^2 \sin{\theta'}d\varphi' d\theta' dr' }{ \sqrt{ r^2+r'^2-2rr' \cos{\gamma} } }
[/itex]
Then using Legendre functions and their addition theorem and some manipulations,I've reached to the following:
[itex]
\vec{A}=-\frac{\sigma\mu_0 C}{r} \sum_{n=0}^\infty \sum_{m=-n}^n \frac{1}{2n+1}\frac{1}{r^n} Y^m_n(\theta,\varphi) \int_a^b r'^n dr' \int_0^\pi \int_0^{2\pi} \hat{r} Y^{m*}_n(\theta',\varphi')\sin{\theta'} d\varphi' d\theta'
[/itex]
Then solved the integral above to get:
[itex]
\vec{A}=\frac{\sigma \mu_0 C(b^2-a^2)}{12r^2} \sin{\theta} e^{i\varphi}[(\hat{x}-i\hat{y})+2\hat{z}]
[/itex]
I'm just skeptical about the result.I tried to find a similar calculation somewhere but found nothing.
Is it correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to be correct, based on the calculations you have provided. However, it is always a good idea to double-check your results with other sources or colleagues.

1. What is a spherical capacitor?

A spherical capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two concentric spherical conductors separated by an insulating material. It is used to store electrical energy by creating an electric field between the two conductors.

2. How is the capacitance of a spherical capacitor calculated?

The capacitance of a spherical capacitor is calculated by dividing the charge on one conductor by the potential difference between the two conductors. The formula for calculating capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance, Q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.

3. What is the vector potential in relation to a spherical capacitor?

The vector potential is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field produced by a current-carrying conductor. In the case of a spherical capacitor, the vector potential is used to calculate the magnetic field produced by the current flowing between the two conductors.

4. How is the vector potential calculated for a spherical capacitor?

The vector potential for a spherical capacitor can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which relates the current density of a conductor to the magnetic field it produces. The formula for calculating the vector potential is A = (μ/4π)∫(J(r')/|r-r'|)dV, where A is the vector potential, μ is the permeability of free space, J is the current density, r' is the position vector of the current element, and r is the position vector of the point where the magnetic field is being calculated.

5. How do spherical capacitors and vector potential relate to each other?

Spherical capacitors and vector potential are related through the magnetic field produced by the current flowing between the two conductors. The vector potential is used to calculate this magnetic field, which in turn affects the capacitance of the spherical capacitor. The magnetic field can also be used to calculate the force between the two conductors, which is important in designing and understanding the behavior of spherical capacitors.