1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical Co-Ordinate Integral

1. Mar 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to integrate the following:

[tex]\int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^\pi \int_0^r \frac{m^2r}{4\pi} e^{-r(m+iqcos\theta)} sin\theta dr d\theta d\phi [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, the question wasn't just that, my attempt was to get this far!

I know that [tex] \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi [/tex] can just sit off to one side to be put in later, since there is no [tex]\phi[/tex] in the equation. Trying to do the next integral in, however, has proved difficult. I'd have to use integration by parts, since [tex]\theta[/tex] appears twice, but since I have an exponential and [tex]sin\theta[/tex] will just go around to [tex]cos\theta[/tex] and back again, I don't see how it will work. Any help will be appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2009 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try substituting x = cos theta (this is a common trick in theoretical physics, so remember it!)

4. Mar 27, 2009 #3
    I've had a play around with that and, although it gives quite a nice number, I know the answer I need but can't seem to reach it...I've been told that I should get:

[tex]F(q^{2})=\frac{m^2}{m^2+q^2}[/tex]

The problem being, my integral still has an exponential factor - I'm not sure how to make it disappear!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook