1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spherical coordinates - phi vs theta

1. Mar 30, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    My textbook states that when ##\theta = c ## where c is the constant angle with respect to the x-axis, the graph is a "half-plane". However, when ##\phi = c ## it is a half-cone. The only difference I see is that ##\phi## is the angle with respect to the z-axis, rather than the x-axis. Why is it that one ends up being a cone and the other a plane?

2. Relevant equations
    n/a

3. The attempt at a solution
    That is the only part I don't understand. It is clear how ##\rho = c ## is a sphere, but why are ##\phi## and ##\theta## so different?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2015 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the geometry. If you pick a point where ##\theta = c## and vary ##r>0## and ##\phi## do you see why you get a half plane? Now pick a point where ##\phi = c##. What happens to that point as you vary ##\theta##? When you very ##r##? It might help to be looking at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spherical_coordinate_system when you answer. Use the second picture there as it has the usual notation used in math.

4. Apr 2, 2015 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are mistaken. For one thing, [itex]\theta[/itex] can range from 0 to [itex]2\pi[/itex] while [itex]\phi[/itex] only ranges from 0 to [itex]\pi[/itex]. Do you see why that is true?
    ("Mathematics notation" and "physics notation" reverse [itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex]. I am assuming that you are using "mathematics notation".)

5. Apr 2, 2015 #4

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How about some physical experience ?

Stand up straight and lift one arm straight up. Let the direction your feet are pointing in represent ##\theta## and the angle your arm makes with the vertical when you lower it represent ##\phi## ("math notation" - I didn't know it existed). Fortunately they have r in common :smile: imagine a very long arm....

Moving your arm up and down (##[0,\pi]##) with feet fixed defines a half plane.
    And rotating on your feet (##[0,2\pi]##) with arm angle fixed gives you the cone. (I take it the mistake Ivy refers to is that it's a cone surface, not half a cone).

And now I will revert to "physics notation" in order not to confuse myself :wink: -- after all this is PF and not MF !

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted