Spherical Coordinates: Understanding Theta Equation

In summary, the conversation discussed an error in an equation for Theta in a spherical coordinate system found on a website. The correct equation is actually θ = tan⁻¹(√(x²+y²)/z) or θ = cos⁻¹(z/√(x²+y²+z²)). The reason for using the latter equation is likely due to higher mathematics.
MattRob
So, I was curious about this and found more or less what I was looking for here: http://electron9.phys.utk.edu/vectors/3dcoordinates.htm

Except, something is bothering me about those equations. At the very bottom, the equation for Theta in a spherical coordinate system; shouldn't it be
[itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}}{z})[/itex]
instead of
[itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{z}{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}})[/itex]

(The image in question)
p22.gif

Because [itex]{tan^{-1}}( \frac{opposite}{adjacent}) = \theta [/itex] , and looking at angle [itex] \theta [/itex] , the line opposite of it is exactly equal to [itex] \sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}} [/itex] , and the line adjacent to it equal to [itex]z[/itex].

So I'm wondering if I'm in error (and how so if I am) or if the linked page is.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct. That equation on that page is in error.

It appears that page is wrong. You're right, the correct relation is

##\theta = \tan ^{-1}\left( \frac{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 }}{z}\right)##.

You could also write it as ##\theta = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2 }}\right)##Edit: Darn you, jtBell, you beat me by seconds!

yep... it sure looks like they've got their sides mixed up.
However, it is more usual to use ##\theta = \cos^{-1}(z/r):r=\sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2}##

Thanks very much for all the replies! Are the equations for the x, y, and z components from a spherical coordinate system correct on that page, though?

And why is the ##\theta = \cos ^{-1} \left(\frac{z}{\sqrt{x^2 +y^2 +z^2 }}\right)## approach more common? The [itex]\theta = {tan^{-1}}( \frac{\sqrt{{x^{2}}+{y^{2}}}}{z})[/itex] one has less terms. Something to do with higher mathematics?

Related to Spherical Coordinates: Understanding Theta Equation

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a three-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points on a sphere or a three-dimensional space. It uses two angles, theta (θ) and phi (φ), and a distance, r, from the origin to represent a point.

2. How are spherical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are different from Cartesian coordinates in the way they represent a point. In Cartesian coordinates, a point is represented by its x, y, and z coordinates, while in spherical coordinates, a point is represented by its distance from the origin and two angles.

3. What is the theta equation in spherical coordinates?

The theta equation in spherical coordinates is θ = arccos(z/r), where z is the vertical distance from the origin and r is the distance from the origin to the point. This equation represents the angle between the positive z-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin.

4. How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to spherical coordinates?

To convert Cartesian coordinates (x, y, z) to spherical coordinates (r, θ, φ), we use the following equations: r = √(x² + y² + z²), θ = arccos(z/r), and φ = arctan(y/x). These equations represent the distance from the origin, the angle between the positive z-axis and the line connecting the point to the origin, and the angle between the positive x-axis and the projection of the point onto the xy-plane, respectively.

5. What are some applications of spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are commonly used in astronomy to locate celestial objects, in navigation systems to determine the position of a vessel, and in physics to solve problems involving spherical symmetry. They are also used in computer graphics and 3D modeling to represent objects in a three-dimensional space.