Spherical Surface Problem: Sqrt(x^2+y^2)<=z<=x^2+y^2+z^2

In summary: If you don't know those equations, you can't do anything else. You have been asked several times to write those equations. If you don't know how to do that, ask in the math section for help with spherical coordinates.
nameVoid said:
I suppose I would need to say that a is the angle off the z axis
Hurray! Some explanation!
OK, so you are saying z = ρ cos(a), where ρ2 = x2+y2+z2.
(Note: the standard symbols are ρ, not p; and ##\phi##, not a. Or you could use r instead of ρ. Some interchange ##\phi## and θ. See http://mathworld.wolfram.com/SphericalCoordinates.html for a list of notations. Your using p and a without explanation is why no-one could understand your posts. We're not mind-readers.)

Rewriting part of your OP:
The first of which arises at the statement 1/2<=cos^2a
Next my question is at the stament cosa<=p
becomes
##\frac 12 ≤ \cos^2 \phi## (which follows from Sqrt(x^2+y^2)<=z)
##\cos \phi ≤ \rho## (which follows from z<=x^2+y^2+z^2)​
-1/sqrt(2)<=cosa<=1/sqrt(2)
... it doesn't make any sense to write 3pi/4<=a<=pi/4
Quite so, but there are other solutions to -1/sqrt(2)=cosa. Operations like taking square roots and applying trigonometric inverses produce multiple solutions. You have to be very careful doing those in an inequality.

Physics news on Phys.org
Algebra looks good but the book wants an inequality for p

nameVoid said:
It looks like you're continuing to ignore berkman's post #35. (Link to that post)

By the way: Using Algebra is the way to arrive at the desired inequality for p or ρ or whatever the variable is.

These inequalities completely answer the question as posed in post #14:
##\frac 12 ≤ \cos^2 \phi##
##\cos \phi ≤ \rho##
Though you might go further with the first one to eliminate the cos function.
nameVoid said:
The second of the above inequalities is an inequality for ρ. Do you mean it wants one that does not involve ϕ (=a)?
If you solve the first inequality correctly to get the range of ϕ, then you could eliminate ϕ from the second, perhaps, to get an inequality for ρ. However, there will be values of ϕ for which ρ cannot achieve that bound, so I'm not sure it's useful.
In your post #14 (which is the whole question word-for-word, yes?), it doesn't say anything about getting an inequality for ρ that does not involve ϕ. Are you basing this extra requirement on knowing the book answer?

I ignore bs
how to build ainequality for p and what area does does this define is a straight forward question
Here's another question how to I plot the original inequality for x y z in mathematica

Last edited:
nameVoid said:
I ignore bs
Fair enough, but perhaps you also ignore some more substantial matter occasionally.
how to build ainequality for p
Please explain how cosϕ≤ρ does not meet your requirement.
and what area does does this define
An inequality for ρ would not define an area. It would define a three dimensional region.

I've been away from PF for a few days because of illness in my family, and I can't really say I have missed this thread. But I don't see why anyone is suggesting that ##\cos\phi\le\rho## is correct for the region described in post #14. It isn't.

nameVoid said:
Well we have the cone under the sphere
For 0<=alpha<=pi/4
Cos(theta)<=p
What exactley does this describe and is this correctly written

The thread badly needs a picture. The shaded region shown in the first one is needed in polar coordinates. The shape is obtained by rotating the second figure about the z axis. If alpha is the angle enclosed by the z axis, it is clear that 'above the cone" means α≤π/4, and of course, α ≥0
The sphere has radius 1/2 and centre on the z axis at z=1/2. The cone and the sphere intersect at z=1/2.
The distance of a point on the sphere is R=2*(1/2) cosα= cosα, from the third picture. The point below the sphere can not be farther from the origin as R: ρ≤cosα, and of course, ρ≥0

ehild

Attachments

• spherecone.JPG
    spherecone.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 362
LCKurtz said:
I've been away from PF for a few days because of illness in my family, and I can't really say I have missed this thread. But I don't see why anyone is suggesting that ##\cos\phi\le\rho## is correct for the region described in post #14. It isn't.

Oops, sorry. It got reversed at some point. I mean ##\rho\le\cos\phi##. Thanks.
Anyway, the question to nameVoid stands: in what way is that not an inequality on ρ?

Thanks for all the great attempts to help the OP with this. Unfortunately, the OP has left the building permanently.