SPICE Circuit Parameter Extraction

In summary, the conversation is about a person looking for information on how to extract circuit parameters from a system by using experimental data and an equivalent circuit model. They are seeking tools or methods, such as SPICE tools or curve fitting in Matlab/Origin, to accurately fit the equivalent circuit model to the experimental data. The person also mentions that the system is a black box, so they cannot directly measure the resistances and capacitances.
py_engineer
Hi,

I am looking for information on how to extract circuit parameters.

I have a system, and I can experimentally perform current and voltage measurements. For example, I can measure the voltage response of the system as a function of a given input pulse.

In addition, I also have an equivalent circuit model to represent this system, composed of various resistors and capacitors.

What I don't know is the resistance and capacitance values for the elements in my equivalent circuit model.

I was wondering if there are tools, like SPICE tools, or methods to extract the circuit parameters that would fit the best my experimental data. I have a SPICE extraction tool, however it is designed to extract transistor parameters. I can't find tools that can extract general circuit parameters. I am not sure that I am being very clear, so please let me know if this is confusing, and if you have suggestions on tools and methods.

Thanks a lot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your circuit is all passive, you can get equivalent circuit components by measuring resistance and inductance/capacitance.

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. My system is a black box, so I can't just go and measure the resistances and capacitances. I have an equivalent circuit model for my system, and I can obtain experimental data from the system, so I am just looking for a tool that will fit the equivalent circuit model to the experimental data.

If you have experimental data, then you can use Matlab/Origin etc. to curve fit on the data using a custom defined curve. If you want to fit it in SPICE model the work is same. However, you have to know the SPICE model equations which will be used for fitting.

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out about your question on SPICE circuit parameter extraction. There are indeed tools and methods that can help you extract circuit parameters from your experimental data and equivalent circuit model.

One method is called curve fitting, where you can use software such as MATLAB or Python to fit your experimental data to your equivalent circuit model and extract the parameters that best fit the data. Another method is called optimization, where you can use software such as SPICE or LTSPICE to optimize the circuit parameters to match your experimental data.

In addition to these methods, there are also specific tools designed for circuit parameter extraction, such as Keysight's IC-CAP software. This tool allows you to extract general circuit parameters from your experimental data and equivalent circuit model.

I hope this helps answer your question and provides some options for you to consider. Let me know if you have any further questions or need additional clarification.

Best,

1. What is SPICE circuit parameter extraction?

SPICE (Simulation Program with Integrated Circuit Emphasis) circuit parameter extraction is a process used in circuit simulation software to determine the behavior of electronic components and circuits. It involves extracting the various parameters of the components and incorporating them into a model that can be simulated on a computer.

2. Why is SPICE circuit parameter extraction important?

SPICE circuit parameter extraction is important because it allows engineers and scientists to accurately simulate and analyze electronic circuits before physically building them. This saves time and resources and helps in identifying and fixing potential issues with the circuit design.

3. What types of parameters can be extracted using SPICE?

SPICE circuit parameter extraction can extract a wide range of parameters, including DC parameters (such as resistance and voltage), AC parameters (such as impedance and gain), and time-domain parameters (such as rise time and delay). It can also extract temperature-dependent parameters and noise parameters.

4. How is SPICE circuit parameter extraction performed?

SPICE circuit parameter extraction is typically performed using a combination of manual measurement techniques and automated software tools. The components are first measured and characterized using laboratory equipment, and then the data is input into the software to generate a SPICE model. The accuracy of the model can be verified by comparing simulation results with actual measurements.

5. What are some common challenges in SPICE circuit parameter extraction?

One of the most common challenges in SPICE circuit parameter extraction is accurately measuring and characterizing the components. This requires specialized equipment and techniques, and even then, there can be variations due to manufacturing tolerances. Another challenge is ensuring the accuracy of the SPICE model, as it relies on the quality of the extracted parameters. Additionally, the complexity of the circuit and the number of parameters can also pose challenges in the extraction process.