Particles with Spin 1/2: Unraveling the Mystery

In summary, the papers suggest that there could exist particles with physical negative spin. These particles have a spin quantum number of -1/2 and are only hypothetical at this point.
loup
Why there can exist some particles having spin = 1/2? I understand, the postive numbers but what do the negative number mean?

Also, I would like to ask why some photons can be detected when it comes to light, but photon is not detected when it comes to charge replusion? What is the difference between these two kinds of protons?

Physics news on Phys.org
A particle has spin 1/2 (non negative), but it can 'rotate' in two directions so one is called 1/2 and the opposite direction -1/2. As for the photon question, I'm not sure what you mean.

loup said:
What is the difference between these two kinds of protons?

You're asking about real versus virtual photons. Look through this forum, there have been many threads about virtual photons.

There are two quantum numbers related to spin. The book I studied called them j and m. (j is usually called j, but m is sometimes called s or [itex]\sigma[/itex]). j is one of the properties (along with mass and charge) that tell us what particle species we're dealing with (electrons, photons, etc.). m is one of the properties that define what state the particle is in.

j is always a non-negative integer or half-integer. (j=n/2 where n is an integer satisfying n≥0). m is also an integer or a half-integer. It satisfies -j ≤ m ≤ j. It can only be changed in integer steps, and j is always one of the possible values of m. So if j=1/2 (e.g. an electron), the possible results of a measurement of m are -1/2 or +1/2. If j=1 (e.g. a photon), the possible results are -1, 0 or 1.

Last edited:
loup said:
Why there can exist some particles having spin = 1/2? I understand, the postive numbers but what do the negative number mean?

Do you mean
[tex]j=-\frac{1}{2}[/tex]
or
[tex]m=-\frac{1}{2}[/tex] ?

I know spin = 1/2 meaning that the particle rotates 720 degree than looks the same as the original one.

But, -1/2, what does that imply? j and m? What do they mean?

Note that intrinsic angular momentum ("spin") [itex]\vec S[/itex] is a vector: a quantity that has both magnitude and direction.

"spin 1/2" normally refers to the quantum number that's associated with the magnitude of [itex]\vec S[/itex]. Most of my books call this quantum number s. Other books, and Fredrik and Mathematikawan, call it j.

[tex]S = \sqrt{s(s+1)} \hbar = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} \hbar[/tex]

Be careful of notation here: Upper-case S is the magnitude of the vector [itex]\vec S[/itex]. Lower-case s is the quantum number.

Where you're seeing "-1/2" it is surely referring to the quantum number that's associated with the component of [itex]\vec S[/itex] along a particular direction. Usually we call it the z-direction, so this component is called [itex]S_z[/itex]. Most of my books call this quantum number [itex]m_s[/itex]. Other books, and Fredrik and Mathematikawan, call it m.

[tex]S_z = m_s \hbar[/tex]

When s = 1/2, [itex]m_s[/itex] can have the values -1/2 or +1/2, and [itex]S_z[/itex] correspondingly can have the values [itex]- \hbar / 2[/itex] or [itex]+ \hbar / 2[/itex].

When s = 1, [itex]m_s[/itex] can have the values -1, 0 or +1. In this case, [itex]S = \sqrt{2} \hbar[/itex] and [itex]S_z[/itex] can have the values [itex]-\hbar[/itex], 0 or [itex]+\hbar[/itex].

When s = 3/2, [itex]m_s[/itex] can have the values -3/2, -1/2, +1/2 or +3/2. I leave it to you to write the corresponding values of S and [itex]S_z[/itex].

When s = 2, [itex]m_s[/itex] can have the values -2, -1, 0, +1 or +2.

A positive value for [itex]m_s[/itex] means that the vector [itex]\vec S[/itex] points more or less in the +z direction. A negative value indicates that [itex]\vec S[/itex] points more or less in the -z direction.

Last edited:
I think jtbell has done excellent job in explaining the notations.

Sorry that I have been looking the concept of spin from the mathematical view rather than from the physical view. The spin quantum number j or s is just a label for the irreducible representation of su(2). So it can be positive or negative integer or half-integer value, as long as we can construct the representation.

So when I saw the title of the thread Spin = -1/2, hei may be this forum can enlighten me something. There are speculation that there may be such thing as physical negative spin j. I have came across the following papers (there may be others)

1. Andre van Tonder, Ghosts as Negative Spinors, Nuc. Phys. B 645(2002) pp 371-386.
2. Keshav N.Shrivastava, Negative-spin Quasiparticles in Quantum Hall Effect, Physics Letters A 326(2004) pp 469-472.

I manage to understand only a little bit from those papers. I even started a thread at this forum to make a sense from those papers.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=304800

1. What is spin in particle physics?

Spin is an intrinsic property of particles in quantum mechanics that describes their angular momentum. It is not related to the particle physically spinning, but rather is a fundamental property that affects the behavior of particles.

2. What is the significance of particles with spin 1/2?

Particles with spin 1/2 are known as fermions and are considered to be the building blocks of matter. They follow the Pauli exclusion principle, which states that no two identical fermions can occupy the same quantum state simultaneously.

3. How can we measure the spin of a particle?

The spin of a particle can be measured through various experiments, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment, which involves passing a beam of particles through a magnetic field and observing the deflection of the particles. The direction of the deflection is directly related to the spin of the particle.

4. What is the connection between spin and quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement refers to the phenomenon where two particles can become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle is dependent on the state of the other, even if they are separated by a large distance. Spin is one of the properties that can be entangled, and this has been demonstrated through various experiments.

5. How does spin affect particle interactions?

Spin plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of particles in interactions. For example, the spin of a particle can determine whether it can participate in a certain type of interaction or not. Additionally, the spin of a particle can also affect the outcome of an interaction, as seen in the case of the weak interaction in which particles with different spins have different interaction strengths.