1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin angular momentum operators

1. Aug 22, 2007 #1
    I posted this is in the QM section but maybe here would have been better. I don't think it is a hard question for any one who knows QM:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2007 #2
    Okay, I want to know the answer enough that I will repost the question here:

The dipolar coupling Hamiltonian expressed in the lab frame (units of Hz) is

[tex] H ^D_{ij} = - constants/r_{ij}^3 * I_{iz} * I_{jz} * P_2(\cos(\theta))[/tex]

where r_ij is the internuclear distance between spins, ci and cj are the gyromagnetic ratios of spins i and j, and I_kz are spin angular momentum operators. The angular portion of the
    dipolar Hamiltonian is described using the second rank Legendre function, P_2(cos h(t)),
    which is a function of the angle h subtending the magnetic field and the ijth internuclear

Somehow they go from that equation to the following one:

[tex]D^{resultant}_{ij} = constants * < P_2(cos(\theta(t))/r_{ij}^3)> [/tex]
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?