Spin of a quickly moving electron

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an electron crossing worldlines with a person at a substantial fraction of the speed of light. The person is interested in knowing how to calculate the state of the electron in their frame, specifically in relation to Lorentz Boosts in QFT for a Dirac Spinor. This is a commonly taught topic in the process of learning QFT, with references such as Peskin and Magiorre's QFT books.
Adam Lewis
Suppose an electron crosses worldlines with me such our relative velocities [itex] v [/itex] are a substantial fraction of that of light. Say the electron's spin is in some state [itex]\mid\psi\rangle[/itex]; for example the doublet state. I would like to know, or read references that describe how to calculate, what state I see in my frame. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are looking for the Lorentz Boosts in QFT for a Dirac Spinor.

This is a pretty standard item to learn during the laborious process of learning QFT. It's actually one of the first things your learn. Some normal QFT books that treat this are: Peskin is standard, and I know it's in Magiorre too.

1. What is spin in relation to a quickly moving electron?

Spin is an intrinsic property of an electron that describes its angular momentum. It is not a physical spinning motion, but rather a quantum mechanical property that gives the electron a magnetic moment.

2. How is the spin of a quickly moving electron measured?

The spin of an electron can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the Stern-Gerlach experiment or through electron spin resonance spectroscopy. These methods involve using magnetic fields to interact with the magnetic moment of the electron and determine its spin state.

3. Can the spin of a quickly moving electron change?

No, the spin of an electron is considered a fundamental property and cannot be changed. It is always either "spin up" or "spin down" and remains constant regardless of the electron's speed or direction of motion.

4. How does the spin of a quickly moving electron affect its behavior?

The spin of an electron plays a crucial role in determining its behavior and interactions with other particles. For example, it determines how the electron behaves in a magnetic field and is also a factor in the electron's magnetic attraction to other particles.

5. Is the spin of a quickly moving electron related to its position?

No, the spin of an electron is independent of its position. This is one of the principles of quantum mechanics known as the uncertainty principle, which states that the position and momentum (including spin) of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with complete accuracy.