Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spin Polarization and Momentum in Particle Decay

1. Feb 19, 2008 #1
    In an elementary particle decay, such as the decay of a positive pion into a positive muon and a muon neutrino, are the spin polarizations of either product always parallel (or anti-parallel) to their momentum? If so why?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2008 #2

pam

The muon neutrino is so close to massless that its spin must be aligned with its momentum (helicity=+1/2). Since the pi is spinless, the muon must also have +1/2 helicity. For other decays, the polarization may not be 100%.
    The momentum direction makes a good z axis to describe polarization because then L_z=0.

4. Feb 20, 2008 #3
    Hi,

I think neutrinos are Left-handed so helicity = -1/2 ?

5. Feb 20, 2008 #4

pam

You are right about neutrinos, but a positive muon is an anti-lepton, so the "neutrino" in this case is really a right-handed anti-neutrino.

6. Feb 20, 2008 #5

kdv

I thought that if the muon emitted is an antilepton, the muon neutrino had to be a neutrino, not an antineutrino. no?

7. Feb 21, 2008 #6

pam

I am greatly embarrassed by making the same silly mistake twice, and apologize to all.
    I must have been sleepthinking. Thank you Barmecides and kdv for your corrections.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?