Spin wave function of a system of 2 electrons

In summary: That would be the answer to (d), right? Because electron ##1## is spin up and electron ##2## is spin down in the ##x## direction.But for (c), both electrons are spin up in the ##x## direction, so wouldn't the answer be ##\chi=\alpha(1)\alpha(2)##?
Happiness
Let ##\alpha(n)## and ##\beta(n)## be the eigenfunctions of ##S_z## that correspond to "spin up" and "spin down" for electron ##n## respectively.

(a) Suppose we prepare electron ##1## to have its spin aligned along the ##x## axis. Is its spin wave function
##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?

(b) Next, suppose we prepare electron ##1## in the "spin up" state and electron ##2## in the "spin down" state and then mix them together. Is the spin wave function of the combined system of electrons ##1## and ##2##
##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)##?

(c) Next, suppose we prepare both electrons ##1## and ##2## to have their spin aligned along the ##x## axis and then mix them together. What is the spin wave function of the combined system?

(d) What about the case where electron ##1## has its spin aligned along the ##x## axis and electron ##2##, along the negative ##x## axis?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happiness said:
(a) Suppose we prepare electron ##1## to have its spin aligned along the ##x## axis. Is its spin wave function
##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?
Conventionally, the one with a + sign.

Happiness said:
(b) Next, suppose we prepare electron ##1## in the "spin up" state and electron ##2## in the "spin down" state and then mix them together. Is the spin wave function of the combined system of electrons ##1## and ##2##
##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)## or ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)##?
##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)##. The others are entangled states.

Happiness said:
(c) Next, suppose we prepare both electrons ##1## and ##2## to have their spin aligned along the ##x## axis. What is the spin wave function of the combined system?
##\chi=\left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1) \right] \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(2) \right] ##
Happiness said:
(d) What about the case where electron ##1## has its spin aligned along the ##x## axis and electron ##2##, along the negative ##x## axis?
Simply rotate the state of electron 2 above by ##\pi## around the z axis.

Likes Happiness
DrClaude said:
χ=α(1)β(2)χ=α(1)β(2)\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2). The others are entangled states.
Since, the OP is talking about electrons and does not seem to consider the spatial wavefunction, shouldn't we take the symmetrization postulate into account, i.e. the wavefunction of fermions should be antisymmetrized?

blue_leaf77 said:
Since, the OP is talking about electrons and does not seem to consider the spatial wavefunction, shouldn't we take the symmetrization postulate into account, i.e. the wavefunction of fermions should be antisymmetrized?
Yes, I was negligent.

DrClaude said:
Yes, I was negligent.

Does that mean the answer to (a) should instead be ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?

Then what is the physical interpretation of the other possibility ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?

DrClaude said:
Simply rotate the state of electron 2 above by ##\pi## around the z axis.

Since the spin wave function is independent of the azimuthal angle ##\phi##, am I right to say that this rotation only affect the spatial wave function and the spin wave function remains the same as the one in (c) as follows?

##\chi=\left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1) \right] \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(2) \right] ##

Happiness said:
Does that mean the answer to (a) should instead be ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?
No, it only affects my answer for the two-electron wave function.

Happiness said:
Then what is the physical interpretation of the other possibility ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)##?
The choice of sign is a question of convention. Using ##| +z \rangle## and ##| -z \rangle## instead of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##, setting
$$
| \pm x \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ | +z \rangle \pm | -z \rangle \right] \\
| \pm y \rangle = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \left[ | +z \rangle \pm i | -z \rangle \right]
$$
allows to define a right-handed system.

Likes Happiness
DrClaude said:
No, it only affects my answer for the two-electron wave function.

In what way is it affected? Is the answer still ##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)##?

Happiness said:
In what way is it affected? Is the answer still ##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)##?
For two identical fermions, the wavefunction must satisfy ##\psi(1,2) = -\psi(2,1)##, that is, when you interchange the positions of the particles, the wavefunction must change sign. In this sense, a state of the form ##\chi=\alpha(1)\beta(2)## does not satisfy the aforementioned requirement, instead it's satisfied by ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)##.
Happiness said:
Since the spin wave function is independent of the azimuthal angle ϕϕ\phi, am I right to say that this rotation only affect the spatial wave function and the spin wave function remains the same as the one in (c) as follows?
No, the rotation operator ##\exp(-i \frac{\mathbf{J}\cdot \mathbf{n}}{\hbar} \phi)## can also act on spin state if ##\mathbf{J} = \mathbf{S}## (##\mathbf{J}## is a general angular momentum vector operator)..

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
For two identical fermions, the wavefunction must satisfy ##\psi(1,2) = -\psi(2,1)##, that is, when you interchange the positions of the particles, the wavefunction must change sign.

Looks like for (c)

##\chi=\left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1) \right] \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(2) \right]##

also does not change sign when I interchange ##1## and ##2##. Is there anything wrong?

Happiness said:
Looks like for (c)

##\chi=\left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1) \right] \left[ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(2) \right]##

also does not change sign when I interchange ##1## and ##2##. Is there anything wrong?
Just take the previous antisymmetrized state for the z direction ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)## but now redefine the ##\alpha## and ##\beta## to be the up and down states in ##x## direction.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
Just take the previous antisymmetrized state for the z direction ##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha(1)\beta(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta(1)\alpha(2)## but now redefine the ##\alpha## and ##\beta## to be the up and down states in ##x## direction.

That would be the answer to (d), right? Because electron ##1## is spin up and electron ##2## is spin down in the ##x## direction.

But for (c), both electrons are spin up in the ##x## direction.

Happiness said:
But for (c), both electrons are spin up in the xxx direction.
Unless other degrees of freedom are considered, such a situation is not allowed by the symmetrization postulate.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
Unless other degrees of freedom are considered, such a situation is not allowed by the symmetrization postulate.

Does that mean we cannot put those two electrons together? And so a wave function of the combined system does not exist?

Happiness said:
Does that mean we cannot put those two electrons together? And so a wave function of the combined system does not exist?
You can, but they will rearrange themself such that the composite wavefunction is antisymmetric.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
You can, but they will rearrange themself such that the composite wavefunction is antisymmetric.

Does it mean forcing the two electrons together will force the wave function of the system to become one that is the same as the one for (d)?

Happiness said:
Does it mean forcing the two electrons together will force the wave function of the system to become one that is the same as the one for (d)?
If the degree of freedom is only of the spins, yes it is.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:
If the degree of freedom is only of the spins, yes it is.

How about I find the composite spin wave function for part (c) by rotating the spin wave function for electron ##2##, in the composite spin wave function for part (d), by ##\pi## around the ##z## axis? Then I will get an answer different from the one for part (d). Is there anything wrong?

blue_leaf77 said:

##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_x(1)\beta_x(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_x(1)\alpha_x(2)##

Using ##\alpha_x(n)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(n)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(n)## and ##\beta_x(n)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(n)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(n)## and simplfying, I get

##\chi=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(1)\beta_z(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(1)\alpha_z(2)##

which is the same as the one for part (b) but after interchanging electrons ##1## and ##2##. Is this expected?

How could we prepare a system with the wave function

##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(1)\beta_z(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(1)\alpha_z(2)##?

Happiness said:
How about I find the composite spin wave function for part (c) by rotating the spin wave function for electron ##2##, in the composite spin wave function for part (d), by ##\pi## around the ##z## axis? Then I will get an answer different from the one for part (d). Is there anything wrong?
You are allowed to do that if the quantum states were just regarded as a vector, i.e. as a mathematical object. But physically, a symmetric state for identical fermions cannot occur (at least until there is an experiment to disprove the symmetrization postulate), therefore your effort is physically meaningless.
Happiness said:
##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_x(1)\beta_x(2)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_x(1)\alpha_x(2)##

Using ##\alpha_x(n)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(n)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(n)## and ##\beta_x(n)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(n)-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(n)## and simplfying, I get

##\chi=-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(1)\beta_z(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(1)\alpha_z(2)##

which is the same as the one for part (b) but after interchanging electrons ##1## and ##2##. Is this expected?
I have got the impression that to obtain the last equation, you simply substitute the equations in the second line into the equation in the first line, which implies that you must have arithmetically multiplied the states. That's not allowed for the states are not numbers, they are vector in the relevant vector space. The correct way to express ##\chi## in terms of ##\alpha_z\beta_z## is by regarding them as a composite state, instead of a arithmetic product. I think the easiest way to do this is by working in terms of matrix, e.g. first find the 4x4 matrix for ##S_x = S_{1x}+S_{2x}## in the basis of ##\alpha_z\beta_z## and the find its eigenvectors.
Happiness said:
How could we prepare a system with the wave function

##\chi=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\alpha_z(1)\beta_z(2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\beta_z(1)\alpha_z(2)##?
I believe there is no way.

Likes Happiness
blue_leaf77 said:

For (c), must it be the case that when being forced together, one electron remains in the "spin up" state in the ##x## direction while the other electron is flipped to the "spin down" state in the ##x## direction? Or could it happen that one electron becomes the "spin up" state while the other electron becomes the "spin down" state, both in the ##y## direction (or in some other direction)?

1. What is a spin wave function?

A spin wave function is a mathematical representation of the spin state of a system of particles. In quantum mechanics, particles such as electrons can have a property called spin, which can be either "up" or "down". The spin wave function describes the probability of finding each particle in a particular spin state.

2. How is the spin wave function of a system of 2 electrons calculated?

The spin wave function of a system of 2 electrons is calculated by taking the product of the individual spin wave functions of each electron. This is known as the total spin wave function and it describes the overall spin state of the system.

3. What is the significance of the spin wave function in quantum mechanics?

The spin wave function is significant because it is one of the fundamental properties of particles in quantum mechanics. It plays a crucial role in determining the behavior and interactions of particles, and is a key component in many quantum mechanical equations and models.

4. Can the spin wave function of a system of 2 electrons change over time?

Yes, the spin wave function of a system of 2 electrons can change over time. This is because the spin state of particles can be affected by external factors such as magnetic fields, and can also change through interactions with other particles.

5. How is the spin wave function related to the concept of spin angular momentum?

The spin wave function is closely related to the concept of spin angular momentum. In quantum mechanics, particles with spin have an associated spin angular momentum, which is a measure of the rotation of the particle's spin. The spin wave function describes the probability distribution of the particle's spin angular momentum and its possible values.