Increasing Spin: Ice Skater's Formula Revealed

In summary: It seems that you are asking about the formula for an ice skater in an increasing spin. The formula or concept that you may be looking for is the conservation of angular momentum. This involves knowing the initial and final angular momentum, which is affected by the change in inertia caused by pulling in the arms and legs. However, there are many other parameters that need to be known for an accurate calculation.
phredbo
any one know the formula for an ice skater in an increasing spin

Physics news on Phys.org
Increasing rate of spin?

Jim

It's complicated. Since the spinner does work by pulling a leg and arms inwards, the angular kinetic energy increases. You would need to know the angular inertia with leg and arms extended and then pulled in. Then you'd also need to know the amount of mass, the rate of spin, distance pulled inwards ..., to determine the work done (force times distance) while pulling the leg and arms inwards.

For a single point mass, if the radius is decreased by 1/2 the speed of the mass increases by 2, and the centripital force increases by 8.

hi jeff many thanks for the quick reply. all the best phres

The formula, or the idea, which the OP perhaps wanted is the conservation of angular momentum. The initial ang mom =I1w1=final ang mom=I2w2.

As Jeff has said, a lot parameters have to be known for the actual calculation. But, as you must have noticed, if you pull in your arms and/or a leg, then I decreases, resulting in an increase of w, which means you are spinning faster. And vice versa.

reply to shooter

Shooting star said:
The formula, or the idea, which the OP perhaps wanted is the conservation of angular momentum. The initial ang mom =I1w1=final ang mom=I2w2.

As Jeff has said, a lot parameters have to be known for the actual calculation. But, as you must have noticed, if you pull in your arms and/or a leg, then I decreases, resulting in an increase of w, which means you are spinning faster. And vice versa.

hi shooter heaps of thanks for the help in the spin formula I am new to the physics forum. I am still finding my way around
the web site. all the best..phredbo

1. What is the Ice Skater's Formula?

The Ice Skater's Formula is a mathematical equation that explains the relationship between the moment of inertia, angular velocity, and angular momentum of an ice skater as they increase their spin.

2. How does an ice skater increase their spin?

An ice skater can increase their spin by pulling their arms and legs closer to their body, which decreases their moment of inertia, and thus increases their angular velocity and angular momentum.

3. How does the Ice Skater's Formula relate to conservation of angular momentum?

The Ice Skater's Formula is derived from the principle of conservation of angular momentum, which states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless an external torque acts on it.

4. What is the significance of understanding the Ice Skater's Formula?

Understanding the Ice Skater's Formula can help us better understand the principles of angular momentum and rotational motion, which have important applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and sports.

5. Are there any limitations to the Ice Skater's Formula?

While the Ice Skater's Formula is a useful tool for understanding the mechanics of an ice skater's spin, it does not take into account external factors such as air resistance and friction, which can affect the skater's actual spin in real-life situations.