Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spining formula

1. Oct 30, 2007 #1
    any one know the formula for an ice skater in an increasing spin

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2007 #2
    Increasing rate of spin???

Jim

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3

rcgldr

Homework Helper

It's complicated. Since the spinner does work by pulling a leg and arms inwards, the angular kinetic energy increases. You would need to know the angular inertia with leg and arms extended and then pulled in. Then you'd also need to know the amount of mass, the rate of spin, distance pulled inwards ..., to determine the work done (force times distance) while pulling the leg and arms inwards.

For a single point mass, if the radius is decreased by 1/2 the speed of the mass increases by 2, and the centripital force increases by 8.

5. Oct 31, 2007 #4
    hi jeff many thanks for the quick reply. all the best phres

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5

Shooting Star

Homework Helper

The formula, or the idea, which the OP perhaps wanted is the conservation of angular momentum. The initial ang mom =I1w1=final ang mom=I2w2.

As Jeff has said, a lot parameters have to be known for the actual calculation. But, as you must have noticed, if you pull in your arms and/or a leg, then I decreases, resulting in an increase of w, which means you are spinning faster. And vice versa.

7. Oct 31, 2007 #6
    reply to shooter

hi shooter heaps of thanks for the help in the spin formula im new to the physics forum. im still finding my way around
    the web site. all the best..phredbo

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?