Spinning artificial gravity proof

• Thread starter Mad_Eye
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

can someone explain to me how can it be proof that the spinning-room-artificial-gravity, actually works?

i mean, that if you take a huge wheel-like room, and spin it in the right velocity, the people inside will experience something that feels like gravity.

well, i've mange to understand that easily when one is standing.. but what about jumping for example? if the person inside is jumping up, will he land and the same spot (relatively to the wheel of course) he was jumping from?

embarrassing as it is, i didn't succeed to proof it (or deny it).

so if someone can show me how is it proofed, and also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel... i'd be glad

thank you very much :D

Answers and Replies

A.T.
Science Advisor
can someone explain to me how can it be proof that the spinning-room-artificial-gravity, actually works?
What do you mean by "proof" and "actually works"? Newtons laws and the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force_%28rotating_reference_frame%29" [Broken] are well understood. You can do your own experiments.
well, i've mange to understand that easily when one is standing.. but what about jumping for example? if the person inside is jumping up, will he land and the same spot (relatively to the wheel of course) he was jumping from?
No, the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect" [Broken] will affect it. This happens on the rotating Earth too.
also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel.
Well as you can see here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centrifugal_force_(rotating_reference_frame)
the centrifugal force is zero at the center and increases with distance to it. In the center you will float. If you jump to the center and have some speed left you get to the other side.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's what i've meant, that jumping etc will bring you back to where you started...

anyway, i can't find in your links a proof that jumping will not bring you back to the point you left the ground (neither something similar)...

another way to look at it is if you are standing on a moving platform and you jump you dont suddenly stop you continue moving at that speed until air resistance or another force slows you down.

russ_watters
Mentor

embarrassing as it is, i didn't succeed to proof it (or deny it).

so if someone can show me how is it proofed, and also what happen if jumping over the center of the wheel, or exactly to the center of the wheel... i'd be glad

thank you very much :D
You should imagine how this happens when viewed by a stationary observer. If somebody jumps toward the centre, it's obvious they'll travel in a perfect straight line at a perfectly constant speed.

But you have to remember they're also launched sideways with the addition of the instantaneous velocity from the moving wall. So if they aim for the centre, they'll definitely miss it, just because of their sideways velocity which came from being in contact with the wall. To get to the centre they have to aim slightly backward to exactly cancel out the motion of the wall/wheel.