Spinors and spatial coordinates

In summary: I see. Are the components of the spinor just complex numbers, or are they themselves vectors? (the latter would make more sense to me, given the state space)The components of the spinor are vectors.
nobody101
I was reading a web page (http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/qm1/modules/m12/spinor.htm) that claims that the state vector of a spin-1/2 particle is completely specified by a two-component spinor, just as the state vector of a spinless particle is completely specified by its components in position space.

This confused me greatly - it seems to me that the complete description of a spin-1/2 particle would be a state vector with components in the tensor product of both the "position space" and the "spin space" (the latter being two-dimensional). How do you get a "complete description" by collapsing all this information into a spinor with two complex components, and how do you extract the spatial coordinates of the particle from the spinor? By "spatial coordinates," I mean the components of the particle's state vector in that tensor product space I mentioned.

I'm trying to understand this as a step toward understanding the Dirac and Pauli equations. It seems very straightforward that the Schrodinger equation generates a time evolution of the position-dependent wavefunction for a spinless particle, but it's not at all clear to me how these former two equations generate such a time evolution for a particle with spin when they seem to concern only the spin components of the wavefunction, and not the spatial components.

Physics news on Phys.org
nobody101 said:
I was reading a web page (http://electron6.phys.utk.edu/qm1/modules/m12/spinor.htm) that claims that the state vector of a spin-1/2 particle is completely specified by a two-component spinor, just as the state vector of a spinless particle is completely specified by its components in position space.

I don't see where the web page says this.
This confused me greatly - it seems to me that the complete description of a spin-1/2 particle would be a state vector with components in the tensor product of both the "position space" and the "spin space" (the latter being two-dimensional).

The web page says this, too.

George Jones said:
I don't see where the web page says this.

It says that in the "notation" section, right after the sentence with the green words "two component spinor."

So I'm still wondering about my original questions.

nobody101 said:
It says that in the "notation" section, right after the sentence with the green words "two component spinor."

So I'm still wondering about my original questions.

The author has just been a bit careless; the page should read

"For a spin ½ particle [itex]| \psi >[/itex] is completely specified by the position-dependent two component spinor, just as for a spinless particle [itex]| \psi >[/itex] is specified by the wave function [itex]\psi (r) [/itex]."

From what is written above this, this is clearly what the author means. Note that in the first paragraph, state space is defined as a tensor product.

I see. Are the components of the spinor just complex numbers, or are they themselves vectors? (the latter would make more sense to me, given the state space)

The components of the spinor are functions.

Essentially, the wavefunction is a spinor-valued function of position.

Ah, OK - thanks, Ben and George.

What are spinors?

Spinors are mathematical objects that represent the quantum mechanical properties of particles. They are used to describe the intrinsic angular momentum, or spin, of particles.

How are spinors related to spatial coordinates?

Spinors are related to spatial coordinates through the concept of spin. While spatial coordinates describe the position of a particle in space, spinors describe the spin of a particle. In quantum mechanics, the spinor is a fundamental part of the mathematical framework used to describe the properties of particles.

What is the significance of spinors in physics?

Spinors are significant in physics because they allow us to describe and understand the behavior of particles at the quantum level. They are used in many areas of physics, including particle physics, quantum mechanics, and relativity.

How are spinors manipulated in mathematical calculations?

Spinors are manipulated using mathematical operations such as rotations, translations, and reflections. These operations allow us to change the orientation and position of the spinor, which can then be used to describe the behavior of particles in different situations.

Are spinors observable in the physical world?

No, spinors themselves are not directly observable in the physical world. However, the effects of spinors, such as the behavior of particles with spin, can be observed and measured through experiments and observations.