Spinors, vectors and quaternions

In summary, the difference between spinors and vectors lies in their representations of SU(2) and SO(3), respectively. Spinors can be written as quaternions, while vectors cannot. Spinors are also represented by a different basis in the Clifford algebra compared to vectors.
dimsun
I am interested in using hypercomplex numbers and not using tensors.

Therefore a question about the difference between spinors and vectors.
I read that they both can be written as quaternions.

Vector:
Vq = ix + jy + kz

Spinor:
Sq = ix + jy + kz

So what is the difference between them?
Can anyone tell me?

Dimsun

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give some references or link where you read this, for the people who are not so familiar with this stuff but would like to help? :)

I'm not into quaternions, but the short answer to your question is that spinors are representations of SU(2) and vectors are representations of SO(3), where SU(2) is the double cover of SO(3).

I think it goes something like this. If [itex]\sigma_x , \sigma_y , \sigma_z[/itex] are the Pauli matrices, then [itex]\sigma_0 , i\sigma_x , i\sigma_y , i\sigma_z[/itex] act like the unit quaternions, where [itex]\sigma_0[/itex] is the 2x2 identity matrix and [itex]i=\sqrt{-1}[/itex]. A vector v can be written [itex]v = v_x\sigma_x + v_y\sigma_y + v_z\sigma_z[/itex] and a spinor can be written [itex]\psi = \alpha\sigma_0 + \beta i\sigma_x + \gamma i\sigma_y + \delta i\sigma_z[/itex] where [itex]\alpha, \beta, \gamma, \delta[/itex] are all real. You get back to the idea of spinors as 2-component complex vectors by writing
[tex]|\psi\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}
\alpha +i\delta \\
-\gamma + i\beta\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The set [itex]\sigma_0 , \sigma_x , \sigma_y , \sigma_z , i\sigma_x , i\sigma_y , i\sigma_z , i\sigma_0[/itex] forms a basis for the Clifford algebra.

This is in 3-d, no idea about 4-d.

At least I think some of that is right...

1. What are spinors, vectors, and quaternions?

Spinors, vectors, and quaternions are mathematical objects used to represent physical quantities in three-dimensional space. They are commonly used in physics and engineering to describe rotations, translations, and other transformations.

2. What is the difference between spinors, vectors, and quaternions?

Spinors, vectors, and quaternions are all mathematical objects with different properties and applications. Spinors are used to represent spin in quantum mechanics, while vectors are used to represent both magnitude and direction in classical mechanics. Quaternions are used to represent rotations in three-dimensional space.

3. How are spinors, vectors, and quaternions used in real-world applications?

Spinors, vectors, and quaternions are used in a wide range of real-world applications, including computer graphics, robotics, and physics simulations. They are also used in engineering, particularly in the fields of mechanics and electromagnetism.

4. Are spinors, vectors, and quaternions difficult to understand?

While spinors, vectors, and quaternions may seem complex at first, they are based on fundamental mathematical concepts and can be understood with proper study and practice. Many resources, such as textbooks and online tutorials, are available to help individuals learn about these mathematical objects.

5. Can spinors, vectors, and quaternions be used interchangeably?

No, spinors, vectors, and quaternions each have their own unique properties and applications, and cannot be used interchangeably. It is important to understand the differences between these mathematical objects in order to use them effectively in different contexts.