Splitting field of a polynomial over a finite field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
resolvent1
Messages
24
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Assume F is a field of size p^r, with p prime, and assume [tex]f \in F[x][/tex] is an irreducible polynomial with degree n (with both r and n positive).

Show that a splitting field for f over F is [tex]F[x]/(f)[/tex].

Homework Equations


Not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know from Kronecker's theorem that f has a root in some extension field of F, but I don't know that this root is necessarily in F[x]/(f). If I could obtain this, I could use the fact that finite extensions of finite fields are Galois, therefore normal (and separable), so f splits in F[x]/(f).
I also know that finite extensions of finite fields are simple, so [tex]F[x]/(f) \cong F(\alpha)[/tex] for some [tex]\alpha[/tex]. Then the substitution homomorphism ([tex]g \rightarrow g(\alpha)[/tex]) might help, if I knew that [tex]\alpha[/tex] is a root of f.

Thanks in advance.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you're thinking too hard. You want to find some polynomial expression in x that you can plug into f to get something that is divisible by f(x), right?