Spontaneous fission condition of the nucleus

In summary, the conversation discusses the conditions for spontaneous fission of an even-even nucleus to two odd-odd nuclei, which is different from the previous situation due to the appearance of the term "delta" in the Weizsäcker formula of binding energy. The question is how to solve this problem, and the person asking for help is a student preparing for an exam. There is a request for a professor to answer the question and a suggestion to provide the exact equation for easier understanding.
TheDestroyer
As we know the spontaneous fission of an odd nucleus to an 2 odd nuclei happens with high probability when (Z^2)/A is greater than or equals 45

The conclusion of this is attached in pdf file with the post using the liquid drop nucleus model to explain the problem

The question is here now, What the condition Will be if the fission is from even-even to 2 nucleus odd-odd?

this is different than the previous situation because here appears the term "delta" in Weizsäcker formula of binding energy (Weizsäcker formula is attached in the pdf), which have a value when the nucleus is even-even or odd-odd... this term isn't linear and is proportional with the term A^(-3/4) where A is the atomic mass...

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks you, If what I've written isn't clear please let me know I've got examination on next sunday and need a solution for this...

thanks

Attachments

• Weizsäcker.pdf
    283.4 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
Very funny, Since I entered this forum I wanted to be answered for some real difficult question... but seems all members of this forum is students,

Isn't there PROFESSORS TO ANSWER ME??

Why don't you ask your professor? ;)

I would help you if you showed some work so I see were you are stucked. i.e you write down the equation/expression you want to solve.

Your question is "how to do a similar solution including the paring term" right?

Last edited:
Dear please, I wrote the part of the odd equations, and I specified that the difference for even is only when adding the "delta" term, then we'll not be able to solve for Z^2/A as I did in odd part

Thanks

TheDestroyer said:
Thanks you, If what I've written isn't clear please let me know I've got examination on next sunday and need a solution for this...
To get to the final expression, it takes a very long time. Why don't you provide us with the exact equation you want to solve?

Last edited:

1. What is spontaneous fission?

Spontaneous fission is a type of radioactive decay in which an unstable nucleus splits into two or more smaller nuclei without any external force or trigger.

2. How does spontaneous fission occur in a nucleus?

Spontaneous fission occurs when a nucleus has a high enough number of protons and neutrons, making it unstable. The nucleus then splits into two or more smaller nuclei, releasing energy and particles in the process.

3. What are the conditions necessary for spontaneous fission to take place?

The main condition for spontaneous fission is an unstable nucleus with a high enough number of protons and neutrons. Other factors such as the shape, size, and energy level of the nucleus can also affect the likelihood of spontaneous fission.

4. How is spontaneous fission different from other types of nuclear reactions?

Unlike other types of nuclear reactions, spontaneous fission does not require any external force or trigger to occur. It is a natural process that happens within unstable nuclei, whereas other nuclear reactions are induced by external factors such as collisions or bombardment with particles.

5. What are the potential applications of spontaneous fission?

Spontaneous fission has been studied for its potential use in nuclear energy, but due to its unpredictable nature and the difficulty in controlling it, it is not currently used in practical applications. However, it is still an important process to study for a better understanding of nuclear physics and the behavior of unstable nuclei.