Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spontaneous fission condition of the nucleus

1. Jun 5, 2007 #1
    As we know the spontaneous fission of an odd nucleus to an 2 odd nuclei happens with high probability when (Z^2)/A is greater than or equals 45

The conclusion of this is attached in pdf file with the post using the liquid drop nucleus model to explain the problem

The question is here now, What the condition Will be if the fission is from even-even to 2 nucleus odd-odd?

this is different than the previous situation because here appears the term "delta" in Weizsäcker formula of binding energy (Weizsäcker formula is attached in the pdf), which have a value when the nucleus is even-even or odd-odd... this term isn't linear and is proportional with the term A^(-3/4) where A is the atomic mass...

How can I solve this problem?

Thanks you, If what I've written isn't clear please let me know i've got examination on next sunday and need a solution for this...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 7, 2007 #2
    Very funny, Since I entered this forum I wanted to be answered for some real difficult question... but seems all members of this forum is students,

Isn't there PROFESSORS TO ANSWER ME??????????????????????????
  4. Jun 8, 2007 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why dont you ask your professor? ;)

I would help you if you showed some work so I see were you are stucked. i.e you write down the equation/expression you want to solve.

Your question is "how to do a similar solution including the paring term" right?
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2007
  5. Jun 10, 2007 #4
    Dear please, I wrote the part of the odd equations, and I specified that the difference for even is only when adding the "delta" term, then we'll not be able to solve for Z^2/A as I did in odd part

6. Jun 10, 2007 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

To get to the final expression, it takes a very long time. Why dont you provide us with the exact equation you want to solve?
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?