Spontaneous Symmetry breaking,phase factor

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spontaneous symmetry breaking in quantum field theory. It is explained that if a symmetry transformation only multiplies the vacuum state by a constant phase factor, the symmetry is not considered broken. However, in the case of a U(1) symmetry, the symmetry is broken as the vacuum state is changed to another state on the circle of minima through multiplication by exp(i theta). This is reconciled with the previous statement by noting that the first case refers to the vacuum state itself, while the second case refers to a change in the vacuum expectation value when going to the new vacuum state. It is also noted that under infinitesimal group transformation, the field changes by a phase factor, causing the vacuum expectation value
krishna mohan
Book: Maggiore-A modern Introduction to QFT
Section:11.1

He says that if a symmetry transformation multiplies the vacuum state by a constant phase factor only, the symmetry is not broken..

Section:11.2

U(1) symmetry is spontaneously broken...multiplication by exp(i theta) takes the vacuum state to another state on the circle of minima..

But isn't this multiplication by a phase factor? How can you reconcile this with the statement in the previous section?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first case probably refers to the vacuum state, while the second case refers to a change in the vacuum expectation value when you go to the new vacuum state. In QM, a state multiplied by a phase factor is equivalent to itself.

Let's take the example of a complex scalar field with a U(1) symmetry. Call the corresponding conserved charge Q. Then the unitary symmetry-transformation operator takes the form [itex]U(\alpha) = \exp(i\alpha Q)[/itex].

Now, if the symmetry is unbroken, the vacuum is unique; call it [itex]|0\rangle[/itex]. It is an eigenstate of Q with some eigenvalue, call it [itex]Q_0[/itex]. Usually, we choose to shift Q by a constant so that [itex]Q_0=0[/itex], but it's not strictly necessary. In general, then,
[itex]U(\alpha)|0\rangle = \exp(i\alpha Q_0)|0\rangle[/itex].

Now, if the symmetry is broken, there is a family of vacuum states labeled by an angle; call the angle [itex]\theta[/itex], and call the corresponding vacuum state [itex]|\theta\rangle[/itex]. Now we have
[itex]U(\alpha)|\theta\rangle = |\theta{+}\alpha\rangle[/itex].

Another way to answer the question is to note that under infinitismal group transformation [tex]\phi_{k}(x) [/tex] changes as [tex]U^{\dagger}(\theta) \phi_{k}(x) U(\theta)=-i \theta^{a}T^{a}_{kj}\phi_{j} [/tex] where [tex] T^{a}_{kj} [/tex] is a generator of the group. So taking the case of U(1), the field under transformation is: [tex]\phi(x)-i \theta\phi(x) =\phi(x)(e^{-i \theta}) [/tex]. Therefore the vacuum expectation value of that field changes by that phase factor. If the vacuum expectation value changes by that phase factor, then [tex] U(\theta)=e^{-iQ \theta}[/tex] operated on the vacuum |0> must be a different state since looked at it from another way, [tex]<0|U^{\dagger}(\theta) \phi(x) U(\theta)|0>=<0' | \phi(x) |0'> != <0| \phi(x) |0> [/tex] where != means not equal, implying [tex]|0'>=e^{-iQ\theta}|0>[/tex] is not equal to |0>.

What's fascinating is that no mention of SSB has been mentioned in the analysis! However, if the vacuum expectation value is zero, then |0> can equal |0'>, as they would both have the same expectation value, namely 0. But they still don't have to be the same! Obviously if the expectation value of two states is different, then the two states are different. But if the expectation value of two states is the same, then they still could be different.

However, even if the vacuum is not unique, if the expectation value is zero in all the vacuums, then this doesn't change calculations. But technically, they could be different vacuums. At least I think.

FAQ: Spontaneous Symmetry breaking,phase factor

1. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is a phenomenon in physics where a system that appears symmetric at a higher level actually has a lower level of symmetry. This means that the system behaves differently in different directions or under different conditions, even though it appears to be the same.

2. What is the role of phase factor in spontaneous symmetry breaking?

The phase factor is a mathematical term used to describe the symmetry breaking in a system. It is a complex number that captures the phase difference between two states in a system. In spontaneous symmetry breaking, the phase factor plays a crucial role in describing the asymmetric behavior of the system.

3. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking occur?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking can occur when a system is in a state of unstable equilibrium. Small fluctuations in the system can push it towards one particular direction, breaking the symmetry. This can also happen due to interactions between different particles in the system, leading to different behaviors in different directions.

4. What are some real-life examples of spontaneous symmetry breaking?

One example of spontaneous symmetry breaking is the Higgs mechanism, which is responsible for giving mass to particles in the Standard Model of particle physics. Another example is magnetization, where a magnetic material can have different magnetization directions even though it appears to be symmetrical.

5. How does spontaneous symmetry breaking relate to the laws of physics?

Spontaneous symmetry breaking is an important concept in understanding the laws of physics. It helps explain why certain particles have mass, why certain materials exhibit magnetic properties, and how forces and interactions between particles work. It is a fundamental aspect of many theories and models in physics, including the Standard Model and the theory of superconductivity.

Back